I Forge Iron

Champion 400 blower value?

Jerry T.

I recently acquired one of these in excellent condition.  ( the wooden handle is a bit rough).  I call it my Amish air conditioner.  From research it seems these things a works of art and I'm dying to restore it by cleaning the grease off, disassemble, sand blast and paint to make an industrial piece for the front hallway.   However, it's almost a sin do that to this amazing tool.   Anyone have an opinion on what I should do?   Also what value is placed on the bad boys?

These were made by a company started by a 17 year old boy in 1875 in Lancaster, PA.  His descendants were responsible for Long's Park in Lancaster.  I am in the Hershey, PA area.

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile. I wouldn't disassemble it, as it's difficult to get the gears back in, as over the years they take a "set" and parts are impossible to get. I usually just take the top cover off and clean out the gunk with kerosene then and pressure clean it inside & out. Before I got a pressure cleaner I would take it to a car wash.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

I agree with Irondragon (as per usual) that you should do the minimum necessary restoration.  Don't break it down unless the bearings need repacement.  Any gunk inside should come out with hot soapy pressure washing and soaking in various solvents.  Time is your ally in this.  Don't be in a hurry.  Once cleaned and operating the crank should "windmill" (keep turning) for 2-3 or more revolutions after you let go of the handle after cranking it at a moderate speed (20-30 rpm).

IMO the best use for a blower like this is providing blast to a forge.

In tip top shape I would estimate fair market value at $2-300 but that may vary widely depending on condition and the part of the country.  They are probably cheaper in your part of country where there are more blacksmithing equipment available than around here in the west where there is much less.stuff around.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Good Morning Jerry,

Welcome to this world.

Worth is a funny thing. If you are looking for something that is hard to get, it is only worth more to you. If you are trying to sell something, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Something is always worth more, to someone else, after you have completed a deal. A bird in the hand.............something about a bush!!!! Sometimes people ask what something is worth, because they don't know what topic will start a conversation. The real price of something you have and are using, is PRICELESS. Why would you sell it, if you are using it?

Take little steps!! Take the top off the blower and inspect the insides, if it ain't broke, don't fix it for good. The lower section of the gearbox, houses the lubricant (engine oil), there is no need to fill it above the lowest shaft that penetrates the housing (it will leak/weep out the lowest shaft). The gears running in the oil are the means of transfering the lubricant to all the components. Yes, it is the oil pump. Remember K.I.S.S.!!

Enjoy your journey. There is no fixed destination, except the final one or two!! LOL. Add your general location to your Avatar, nobody will look back to your first message, to find out where you are making a shadow.

Neil

Thanks for the quick responses.  Old 400 is in perfect condition except for the wooden handle.  If it ain't broke.............

It's an amazing machine.   I'm going to scrape off some of the packed grease/dirt and attempt to use it a few times to experience the feel of 100 years ago.

I'm on the other side of the country and form what I've seen anvils, blowers post vises are priced higher here. About a year ago I paid $180.00 for a Champion 400 on a stand. It needed cleaning lubrication and a wooden handle. Just watched one a couple of weeks ago, same auction yard $205.00 and at the very least it needed a hand crank.