I Forge Iron

Where to get a cross peen hammer in Atlanta

Crustfungus

Anybody know? I'm new to the craft and have been going up to North Carolina to work in my mentor's forge. He asked if I could try to acquire a cross peen hammer, about 2 or 3 pounds and bring it up next time. I don't know where to start looking, where do blacksmiths get their tools around here?!

Any big box hardware store, even department stores like Fred Meyer or Walmart carry them. Pick up a 2lb. until you develop hammer control and the muscle. It'll do plenty of work without tiring you quickly or causing soft tissue damage.

Frosty The Lucky.

Harbor Freight also has a "Pittsburgh 3 lb. Hardwood Cross Pein Hammer" for about $11. You'll need to dress the face and round the edges of the peen, but that's a lot easier and a lot less work than cutting down an engineer's hammer. For any new hammer, you'll also want to sand off any shiny finish from the handle, as that can cause blisters.

Here's a good thread from a couple of years ago about hammer face dressing: https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/51879-first-hammer-dressing/

Options in order of relative cost:

• Cheapest (and potentially good quality if you know what to look for):  Garage Sales and Flea Markets
  • Harbor Freight:  only have crosspeens at  3 LBS, which is a bit much for a beginner and the head attachments and steel quality/heat treatment are questionable (I use mine for driving punches so I don't ruin the face of one of my good forging hammers)
  • Big Box Hardware stores;  Typically only have hammers with either integral steel handles (Estwing style) or fiberglass (I would avoid these)
  • Blacksmith supply houses (Blacksmith Depot has a wide variety of forging hammers from $35 French hammers to custom forged hammers at over $175)
  • Forge your own  (not really a beginner project, but with guidance from a mentor...).  Nothing beats using tools you make yourself IMHO.

The handles on big box hammers are starting to  be shock absorbing polyethylene plastic, I have an axe and a sledge and like them fine. Best is they don't break if you miss a blow. I've picked up a couple plastic handled hammers at yard/garage/etc. sales and don't hate them.

My preference for handles is a tapered slab handle copied in part from Uri Hofi's Hofi Hammer design. 

It's made from 5/4" clear straight grain hickory I bought at a finish lumber store. I bought a 5/4" x 4" x 6' board, it wasn't cheap but I have many years worth of custom fits me like a glove, non-tiring feather grip, hammer handles.

Pic below.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hammer2Wh.thumb.jpg.70b81aa3ee65caa7375dc2fb58a15a9e.jpg

Just bought a couple from amazon.  You can search " KSEIBI 271075 Machinist Engineers Hammer" for a 1# and they also have a 2# for under $20.  Still needs dressing, but at least wood.  

Still prefer swap meets, garage sales, etc.  But if you are under a time constriant and don't want to wait a month.  Rather be hitting steel than out shopping...most days.  

Unless you are waiting for a new forge to cure.  

Glen had some nice custom ones, but not a budget buy, as no hand forged item should be.