I Forge Iron

Leaf Forging Video

3/8" sq. is what I use and I can get them pretty wide.

Try making them shorter and they'll be wider in relation. I like willow leaves and they're naturally longer but something like alder or birch is more heart shaped and you have to neck the stem less than half as far from the end.

Making multi lobed leaves is a whole different thing but well worth the effort to master.

Frosty

It's a long time since I last tried this, and I'm afraid all my notes & the piece that I did this on are still in a container; but iirc I used a ball peen hammer at intervals along the leaf edge to move some of the edge out in a semi-circular shape. Repeat at the right sort of distances & you get the effect I think you want. This was for a water plant leaf though, so not sure how it would work for, say, a Maple type leaf.

I tried using a spring fuller, and although the results were pleasing, they were not realistic. So, when I had some time, I went out to the woods and took a good look at a lot of oak leaves. The gaps between the "lobes" are thin and irregular. A spring fuller makes a form which is too regular. The gaps are almost ragged, and are truly beautiful. I'll have to figure out something else.