I Forge Iron

Hay Budden anvil identification.

cdbanta

I plan on buying a copy of anvils in America in the near future however trying to get more information such as the year it was made as well as the value on an anvil my uncle gave me. The serial number as I can read it is 110753, the weight is stamped 1 5 2 and is the actual weight not in hundredweight I double checked it on a scale(151.7). The inspector mark appears to be either a 3 or a 8 it's hard to tell based on the stamp. Rebound is about 70-90% depending on where on the working surface. There are a few spots that gouges and chipped edges have been welded. Though I am curious I have zero intentions to sell it as it is a family heirloom. Any and all information provided is very appreciated. Sorry a few of the photos uploaded upside down.

20230323_224316.jpg

20230323_224312.jpg

20230323_224142.jpg

20230323_224151.jpg

20230323_224056.jpg

As it is an American brand anvil it would NOT be marked in CWT.  As to worth it would depend a lot on LOCATION; is it in Tasmania or Iceland or Mexico?    We have folks from over 100 different countries participating here on IFI on the World Wide Web.  The what looks like a high nickel repair will affect the price downward.

Here in New Mexico; USA I would expect it to go for US$4 a pound or a bit more.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I think your Acme anvil was made by Trenton for Sears & Roebuck. The Hay Budden Acme anvils also made for Sears & Roebuck have the weight stamped on the side, while the Trenton Acme anvils the weight is on the front foot opposite the serial number. If that's incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.:) If it's a Trenton then SRN 110753 would be 1912 mfg.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/39066-acme-anvil-markings-to-id/