I Forge Iron

Just saying hello

WyomingWhitetail

I signed up and thought I would say hello. I've been playing with blacksmithing on and off for quite a few years but I've never gotten real serious about it. I hammered out my first knife when I was probably 13 or 14 using a propane branding stove. Shortly after that I built a coal forge out of a cast iron sink and an old furnace blower. Had a pretty good setup with that forge and my grandpa's anvil. I had no idea what I was doing but I was having fun.

Through the years and the moves and life in general, most of the stuff disappeared one way or the other. The only smithing tools I have left are a couple pairs of tongs and a couple big post vices. I have a buddy who has a little shoeing forge and anvil and we get together once in a while to beat iron with that. 

Hoping to start getting set up again. Think I'll build a simple box of dirt charcoal forge and see if I can fashion a chunk of large forklift fork into a makeshift anvil. I don't have any grand ambitions of doing large projects. Mostly interested in some tool making projects in support of my other hobbies like hand tool woodworking and traditional muzzleloading. Also interested in making hinges, latches, and other accessories for my woodworking projects.

Being interested in traditional woodworking joinery leaves me curious about traditional joinery used in Iron work. That's something I've never learned much about. 

Anyway I'm planning to mostly lurk around and ask a few questions to see if I can learn a little something. 

Matt.

Good Morning Matt,

Welcome to our part of the great big world. There is no limitation on what you can and can't do. If you can think of it, you have to think "How am I going to get there and from here?" Then you have to dream up an answer, Take little steps!!

There area a couple others from Wyoming, I hope you connect with them.

Neil

Welcome aboard from Laramie.  Glad to have you.

It's interesting how different crafts enhance eash other.  Blacksmithing will open doors in woodworking and vice versa.

You'll find a very interesting group here on IFI.  Ages from early teens to 80s. Blacksmithing experience from green as grass newbies to masters.  Education from drop outs to advanced degrees.  Just about any kind of life experience you can imagine.  Just stay away from the topics of politics, religion, and sex and keep your language mild enough for a little girl to read and you will fit in just fine.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. That's a nice looking anvil and gives me some good ideas, the fork section I have is not quite that big, it's the other end of the fork. I haven't measured it yet but I'm guessing it's around 5 inches by 2 inch in section. I have a machinist friend checking the scrap pile at his work, might be able to come up with something even better. I used to work at the same shop and they build parts for big mine equipment so heavy steel is the norm. 7 inch diameter rods for hydraulic cylinders and stuff like that. 

WW, welcome to IFI.  Our blacksmith organization had a member, since moved, who worked at a steel mill over in Ft. Smith, AR.  He was able to come up with some drops off large "rod" extrusions.  Said they were 4014.  About 7"-8" in diameter, +/- 12" high.  An 8" diam. round bar weighs approx. 171#, a 6" about 96#.  Several of our members bought them for, I think, less than a $1/lb. ( I've slept since then ;) ) They made great anvils for new smiths who couldn't afford or find "conventional" anvils.  They would grind about a 1/4" radius around part of the top to get rid of the sharp corners.  I don't know if anyone tried heat treating the top, but seeing as how hot steel moves fine on a hard surface, they worked great for them.  If you can get one from your friend, great!