I Forge Iron

ABANA Level I Zoom Classes

Indish Ironworks

Hey all, I just signed up for the Level 1 Curriculum course ABANA is running over the summer via zoom. Just curious whether anyone here had done one before and knew what to expect, had advice, reviews, etc. I'm quite looking forward to it.

One thing I'm curious about that I didn't see in the description was whether your work was evaluated and you'd be eligible for the Level I certification at the end. I assume so, but you never know.

Apologies is there is already a topic on this; I couldn't find anything manually or via a site search on Google.

I got the sign up notice a couple days ago and FWD'd it to our local association. I didn't read the whole message but if the info you're looking for isn't there I'd contact ABANA. Go To The Source is usually the best first step.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Now that y'all have been at it awhile, has any one successfully finished the gate latch?  From what I've seen it has to be prefect to the ABANA drawing, not Mark Aspery's video.  Print the drawing (Found on ABANA's web site under education) as full size.  I've made 10+ and still don't have it right.

Yes, I finished mine. And yes, I laid it on top of the full page printout when I sent the photo to my coach. I made 4 before I finally got it perfect. 

What part isn't lining up for you? Have you talked with your coach about it? Tomorrow (Tuesday) is the final video session and they'll be covering the latch project. Hopefully you get some good tips. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can you post a pic of your finished hook? I'd like to see a real world completed level I hook. 

My problem has been with all the opportunities to screw up, (overall length, length of hook, curve , ring size) I always find one or more item that just doesn't measure up.

Were you in the course? And if so, have you asked your coach for any feedback? They should be helping you - that's what you're paying for, lol

I don't mind trying to help - I'm not trying to get out of it - I just wondered if there was a coach not holding up their end of the deal.

So, here's the pic of my finished and approved hook latch:

IMG_20230619_205201.thumb.jpg.898775f98c73f051f34e6dd6423d49c1.jpg

He had declined my previous submission noting the eye wasn't correct - and sent me an image of what the eye should look like. I took my hook eye and laid it above the picture he sent to show him they looked the same to me and asked what I was missing. I also sent him step-by-step pictures of the hook so he could hopefully tell me exactly where I was steering wrong. But he ended up passing it, lol

If you don't have a coach - hit me up in the Messages and I'll share my coaches notes with you to see if that helps.

No, it was just a single fold over. My double fold (with the filler material) kept showing side seams and the coach didn't like that since he couldn't tell from a photo if it was a weak weld it just a visible seam from the weld. He suggested a single fold over instead so that's what I did. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, I had it very close to the specs provided in the drawing. I don't know that the instructor would have split hairs over a fraction longer or shorter though. Mostly he was focused on the bends and dimensions of eye and hook ID.