I Forge Iron

Collaboration/Commission Request for a Modifying a Hatchet into a Carving Axe

I’m looking to collaborate with/commission someone to help me convert a hatchet into a carving axe. I have some basic ideas that I’d like to incorporate, and discuss, but am open to any collaborative design input. The goal would be to convert a conventional hatchet head (that I would provide) into a carving axe by reforging the shape of the head, grinding a scandi bevel (thinking 30 deg flat grind) and then heat treating.

If anyone is interested in collaborating on this, please let me know. I’m happy to work with anyone who has the equipment and would be excited to learn (don’t be shy to reach out even if you don’t have a lot of experience).

Something like this:

Making a carving axe from old axe - YouTube

Make sure to grind the edge with more curvature towards the handle on the bottom part of the edge, this makes the axe carve better by making a more cutting motion opposed to chopping like a normal hatchet. Also think if you want an asymmetrical grind, I like them better for carving but that's my preference. It would make the hatchet either right or left handed though.

~Jobtiel

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

As previously suggested, put your general location in your profile and we can give better responses.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in New York City. Tasmania, or Amazonia in Brazil.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks all for the replies. I'm located in Northern California and while I would love to find a local to work with in person, I haven't had much luck. I'd be happy to discuss details with and send the hatchet to anyone who would be agreeable to give it a try. 

Thank you all very much!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Telling us one time in a post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory longer than it takes to open the next post. If you put your general location in the Header it will be shown on every one of your posts. Nobody is going to sift back through a thread looking for it, what usually happens is they lose interest and move on. 

What you want to do isn't all that difficult but I we can explain and answer questions through 50+ posts or spend half an hour showing you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the reply. I've added my location to my profile, so I think it should show up now. I'm glad to hear that what I'm looking to do wouldn't be too complicated, but it is something that is entirely out of my skillset (I'm a woodworker/wood carver). I would love to learn how and work with someone local, but don't want to stall the project while I look. I was hoping to find someone here that I can work with on a design and then send them the hatchet head to try to make a reality. Thank you all in advance for entertaining my concept. 

Edited by Mod30
Remove @name tag

Is there a point to converting a hatchet into a carving axe rather than just buying one? It won't save you money, you are specifying a one off custom job and specifying the stock. 

Were I to undertake this and I'm not. I'd need to forge the tools and I could probably make a carving axe similar to the one Jobtiel showed us a little while ago. A simple wrapped eye from leaf spring, ground, hardened, tempered and finish ground is EZ PZ and the price would reflect it. However to off-set the eye of a common hatchet and keep it aligned with the now one sided blade isn't a beginner's project though not what I'd call journeyman level. 

I'm not trying to discourage you if this is actually what you want but the reality is, this is neither inexpensive nor very quick. The speed of turnover and expense are directly related. Seriously, how much do you not want to spend to not stall your project? A hand forged carving hatchet would probably run you better than $100. What you want, done well would be close to twice the work.

Please don't use the @  tag on the forum the operating software doesn't use tags but they do cause problems so the site mods have to delete them manually. You'll get a PM with a brief explanation.

Frosty The Lucky.