I Forge Iron

New Zealand for the win!

Andy J

Greeting from the neighour down under. Not from the land of kangaroos, but next to them.

I got the bug from watching smiths on TV as a lad, the blacksmith at the history museum as a teen, then lost it as a young manearning a way through the world.

My wife noticed all the YouTube videos on smithing I was watching and brought me a knife making package at a neighbouring town. Thats all it took to set me of making a JABOD in the carport and getting some rebar to make some tongs, pokers, hooks, etc.

I am socially akward, and things sound better in my head but can get lost in translation when getting translate into posts. If I'm unintentionally offensive, please let me know so I can make changes since I hardly ever mean to be offensive. Ain't nobody got time for that, lifes too short to have a beef.

Living ands working in the Rangitikei in the Whangahui/Manatawu region.

Welcome aboard, Andy, from 7500' (2286 m) in SE Wyoming, USA.  Glad to have you.

Please put your location in your profile so that we can see it.  Most of us probably will not recall where you are once we are off this thread.

Welcome to the craft.  I hope it gives you as much pleasure as it has me for the last 44 years.  It can be anything form an occasional hobby to a full time job.  I like to keep it as a hobby that pays for itself which is something few other hobbies can do.  Also, there is something very satisfying about holding an object that literally did not exist until you put your hand and mind to it.

IFI is a pretty cool forum.  It is almost a family. And it is certainly a group of friends from around the world.  Ages range from early teens to the 80s.  Education levels are from drop outs to advanced degrees.  Blacksmithing experience from raw beginners to very advanced and accomplished smiths.  Just keep your language suitable for a 10 year old girl and don't bring up politics, religion, and sex and you will fit in just fine.  Even if you get a nastygram from a moderator just think of it as a friendly reminder.  It has happened to all of us at one time or another.

We do have several members from tha Land of the Kiwi and a fair number fron Oz.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Happy New Year Andy,

Welcome to our world from the left Coast of an Island, some call North Hamerica. Actually, I live on another Island, left of the big Island. the Continent of Vancouver Island!! The only road access is by using a Ferry, as large as a Cruise Ship, but they run every hour. Yes, I am one of the 'Boat People' LOL!!!

There are a few others from NZ that frequent IFORGEIRON. I'm sure you can connect by keyboard, sometime. Don't worry about what you start with, You are starting!!  When I teach a Blacksmith Class, I first hand out a small container of Play-Doh (Plasticene, Modeling Clay, Cookie Dough, thick mud pies, whatever you have access to). Play-Doh reacts identical to Steel when it is in it's Plastic State (when it is Hot). The Play-Doh you can work in your hands, use a piece of 2x4, 2x6 or whatever you can get, for an Anvil. Use whatever Hammer you have access to (a Rock on a Stick??). My point is, forget about what you 'HAVE TO GET'. You have to work safe, Ear and Eye protection is a MUST. Cotton clothing is also a MUST, absolutely no synthetic fibres or Boots/Shoes. Synthetic material melts and sticks to your skin creating burning material that won't go out and you can't brush it off!!!!!  Never run with something hot in your Tongs!!

Enjoy the Journey, there is no final destination, other than the one we all have!!

Neil

Good Morning Andy,

I forgot to suggest that you put your place of Shadow Making (where you live), in your Avatar. This then shows where you are located on this Big Rock, Earth.

Thanks, Neil

Welcome aboard Andy, glad to have you. I usually have lots to say but I think it's been covered already so I'll leave you to playing with fire and hitting things with hammers. It's enough fun I'm surprised it hasn't been outlawed.

Frosty The Lucky.