I Forge Iron

Recommendations for repairing an American Star?

Screenshot_20230101-202745_Facebook.thumb.jpg.39a744ca7df7cb77bd1821230043050f.jpg

Greetings from Massachusetts, USA.

I've got a line on an American Star 220lb anvil. Rough shape. Faceplate is chewed up. Weird cut or slice horizontally, running the length of the horn. $350.00 Would you buy it? What is the likelihood of repairing it? Fully intend to use it. Thanks for any advice. Mike

Screenshot_20230101-202728_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-202731_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-202736_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-202740_Facebook.jpg

I believe Star Anvils are similar to Vulcan anvils. Cast iron with a steel face. It looks like most of the steel face is gone or delaminated. Sorry, but that one is pretty much done. $300 would be well spent elsewhere.
Trying to repair that properly into a working anvil will likely at least double the cost of the anvil, probably more getting welding rod to match up with the cast iron as a base layer for the repair. Look for a large piece of scrap steel and you’ll be better off. Learn on the improvised anvil, and save up for one that comes along. They show up a lot faster when you’re not looking or some reason.

Keep it fun,

David

• 2 weeks later...