I Forge Iron

Looking for info on this anvil

LuiFaria

Hi everybody.

I'm new to the forum and a newbie to the world of forging. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out which anvil is this one I was able to purchase.

Any information would be deeply appreciated, just as a way to get more info on my tool. Thanks!

Anvil (1).jpeg

Anvil (2).jpeg

Anvil (3).jpeg

Anvil (4).jpeg

Anvil (5).jpeg

Welcome aboard form 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Can't help with identifying the maker or date of the anvil but the important thing is that it is a good usable anvil that you will never wear out.

If you put your general location in your profile we can give you better answers.  A surprisingly large number of answers are geography dependent.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Kansas, Lapland, or Tasmania.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.

Being a complete newbie myself, I haven't been to test ring and rebound just yet. I will meet with a blacksmith on the weekend who will help me with this part. In the meantime, I'll be reading a lot of the content here on the forum, which is already helping me out a lot.

Thanks again for the support. I'm very excited about starting forging my own stuff. I was just worried that because it seems really old, it wouldn't endure much longer.

"STEELED FACE" would be consistent with this being a wrought iron anvil with a steel face plate forge welded on. It looks like there might be another mark above it? I don't know what the "DC" means. 

I'd suggest taking a photo with the light all the way off to the side, so that the low spots (such as the stamped letters) will be in shadow and the high spots will be better lit. That might show any markings a bit more clearly.

1 hour ago, LuiFaria said:

I will meet with a blacksmith on the weekend who will help me with this part.

Excellent. There's a lot of great info on the forum, but nothing is better than face-to-face, hands-on instruction.

Welcome!