I Forge Iron

Basket case vice

oldnewprobs

Bought this off a coworker sight unseen, regretted it when he first showed it to me, felt better when he named his price of $5

Clearly the screw and nut are from a different vice, and the mount should be flattened and it has no spring BUT it clamps, so I have an outside vice now. I think I'll try to sleeve the threads with some plumbing pipe that fits to protect it a bit from the elements and mount it on the edge of my outside table and call it good

IMG_20221212_132258163_HDR.jpg

Hardly a basket case, I don't see anything wanting a beginner blacksmith couldn't make. Fire hose makes a good thread protector. Making a mounting bracket will take care of the spring clamp at the same time. 

$5 is  steal of a deal. Sweet!

Frosty The Lucky.

Does the nut always float in these things? The baby railroad track looking bit is actually the acme nut for the rod. It just jams into the frame, definitely scavenged from somewhere. Also the lower pivot bolt is a bolt with no nut, and weirdly the hole in the pivot and frame are different sizes, but it clamps, and I had to cut the last inch off the screw due to damage as well as the nut, but it's working good enough now.