I Forge Iron

Old bench vise id

KYCATS

Hoping one of you fine people might recognize the makers mark on this tennon style mount bench vise I recently found. Looks like PW with 7 stars but I have been unable to find anything on it.  Unfortunately missing the screw and screw box but I couldn't leave it. I know I will probably never know but these things keep me up at night. Thanks yall

GridArt_20221010_164022754.thumb.jpg.5ccf33d265e7385b9c482478db5de38a.jpgGridArt_20221002_163353900.thumb.jpg.d03013f714b1d66941c9c2e0b3f9a374.jpg

I don't recognize the term "tenon" vise but it looks like a wagon tongue vise. Of course that may be a distinction without difference. 

Isn't a circle with 7 stars the symbol of Gimli's clan of Dwarves in "The Lord Of The Rings" series by Tolkien. The PW doesn't fit though, different clan? WAIT A SECOND, maybe Peter and Mr. Wright were a fans!

Sorry KY, I don't have a clue but I AM in the middle of, "The Two Towers" and the Ents are about to flush Isengard.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty. I don't know much about Lord of the rings but my son's a big fan and even named his puppy Gimli. The tennon style mount just refers to the way the mount is attached to the vise. It goes thru both jaws and the spring, held in with a wedge. Here's a better picture showing that.GridArt_20221002_163200115.thumb.jpg.78f0e32b365683773a7dd8e20047f6ed.jpg

That makes logical sense, that couldn't slip like the more normal bale and wedge method for mounting the bolt plate, spring and immobile jaw. Normally the leg prevents vertical slippage.  

Ask the boy what the trademark on the vise looks like from a "middle Earth" context. I re-read the series every few years, have since 1965 or so. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The tenon style mount is typically older from what I understand. From what I believe I've heard late 1700's Possibly? Atleast that was what was said of my H. Lose post vise with a tenon style mount. But I could be wrong. The stamp and style suggest 1700's to me. 

All I can say is nice old vise with a nice logo stamp. Hopefully you can get it fixed and working again. 

Daswulf yes that's the same understanding I have on the age as well. If not online sooner I hope maybe to find something that will work at quadstate next year. If not I'll enjoy looking at it and showing it off. It only cost me a 20 dollar bill at my local flea market