I Forge Iron

Ideal burner mounting point

peps_win

I used copper tubing so found an appropriate fitting at the hardware store. What kind of plumbing are you using to get to the burner? I also put a valve on one line so I can only run one burner when the second is not needed to save fuel.

Edit- looks like thread got edited for subject, I don't have anything to add in regards to placement. I'll leave that to those with better knowledge.

Edited by NoGoodWithUsernames
Initial post was edited.

is it a box forge, a tunnel forge, a "D" forge, a clam shell forge, or a brick pile forge? How high a temperature do you intend to keep it running at? What kind of refractories do you expect to line it with, and what kind of burner will you heat it with? Too many questions for you?

Here's an easy one: What do you plan to do with your forge? Just answere this one, and we have some place to start from.

1- brick forge

2-around 2400 F

3-i don't know yet

4-fire brick as a hard portion for the forge and fire wool or what every you all like to call it

5- Amazon    KIBOW Stainless Steel Forge/Furnace Burner.

Commercial link removed per TOS.

6 -Nope

7-entry level stuff then I want to do some Blade smithing

Edited by Mod30
Remove commercial link.

Peps, welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

If you put your general location in your profile we will be able to give you better answers.  A surprising number of answers are geography dependent.  Right now we don't know if you are in Lapland or Tasmania.

Also, we are generally pretty generous with out knowledge.  Mikey and Frosty have forgotten more about propane forges than most of us will ever know.  BUT, we do respond better to queries which have some context and general information and general courtesy and a bit of chatiness.  Besides being a blacksmithing forum it is kind of a social forum too.  We are all friends and welcome new folk very easily.  Tell us a bit more about yourself and we will be more motivated to help you out.

Again, welcome to IFI.  I hope you find the craft as rewarding as many of us have.  It has been a positive thing in my life, through good times and bad, for the last 44 years.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Well, to begin with not one of the burners I looked at on that page runs worth beans. I outta know; every one of them was an attempt to copy my high speed tube burners. And not a single one of them has a spacer ring between the flame retention nozzle and the mixing tube. Otherwise two out of the three would run well enough to be worth what they will cost you.

May I suggest that you just build a "T" burner instead? Or better yet, buy a Volcano forge, which is worth every penny they ask for it, and has a much better burner, included?

Look up one of the several Volcano Forge videos available on the Net, and see for yourself.

I've been building burners and forges for twenty-two years, and I'm tempted to buy one. Don't expect their prices to remain this low for long, ether.

I think Kibow is trying to market a BBQ burner as a forge burner to collect some of the market. 

Ditto, buy a Volcano forge, you'll get a forge ready to work out of the box for darned reasonable. Well, you'll have to assemble it but we'll help if necessary.

Frosty The Lucky.