I Forge Iron

busted!

well...it would seem my neighbor (i know which one) has complained to council for me "incinerating flammable material" in my backyard...otherwise known as running a forge...$1000 fine...she wants a war...she's got one...hope she likes a 2.5m double planked wooden fence obstructing her view of the valley...

anyway...i have decided to move into my garage and invest in a gas forge...what's a good one? i've heard they're good but will miss the olde worlde feel of a coal forge :(

Edited by inazuma_x

i love my neighbors...the one i sued ...the story is too long suffice to say I won...anyway there are uses for both i use propane but most of the summer i used coal....there are things that are great with coal and there are situations with propane that make somethings way easier...i definately understand the old world gig tho.....doesnt anyone have afireplace they burn....

yeah there are fireplaces galore...but you're only allowed to burn stuff if you're preparing food...or heating yourself...ah red-tape...i love it...doing stuff that may be considered artistic or interesting is strictly prohibited though...coz its frivolous creativity and fun...it must be extinguished immediately...before people start smiling...

so...what can you do with coal that you cant do with gas?

I had a similar run in with the local fire brigade. They turned up and the first thing I knew was a fire hose pointed at a fully heated forge. I quickly informed them it would not be a good idea but said that if they insisted I wanted time to get away. They left it alone and then became inquisitive about the whole activity. No trouble since :)

inazuma, how about forging yonself a crane arm and keeping a pot of stew next to the forge? ;-)

the thought had crossed my mind...but this woman is a complete nuisance...she would find something questionable and i'd get yet another fine from my beloved brisbane city council...the fun police are on patrol...and they have spies everywhere...

the BCC doesnt call the fire dept...they just send a fine in the mail :) basically its my word against her's and ANYTHING she finds annoying automatically puts her in the right...guilty until proven innocent...

You might try talking to her about your strange activity, in the backyard after you present her with a peace offering. Make a nice set candle holders, or something similar. You never know she might become your new student. Might save $1000 fine.

Larry

Would they fine you for using charcoal???
That also has a great old-world feel.
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Nothing is uglier than a neighbourhood feud. Good luck.

Aeneas
-which reminds me I need to check with the city offices before i go and start planning my backyard forge.

understand the old world gig tho.....doesnt anyone have afireplace they burn....

that's what i use all winter. its nice cause it's always running and holds heat better than my forge. My dad hates it cause scale gets everywhere, and i have the air open full... he thinks i'm gonna burn the shop down!

our neighbor can be a j**k like that too! if i spend more than halfhr grinding he freaks! another reason to forge in a shop.

To be fair Cal, grinders can make a xxxx of a high-pitched racket. If your neighbour is right next door, I can sympathyse with him. The only power tools I own are a drill (not often used) and a couple electric blowers (probably to be replaced with a bellows soon).

Conflict resolution - I just went through a class on using deadly force and the instructor mentioned that there are three egos: the child, the parent and the adult. The child is only interested in the self, without regard for anyone else. The parent is only interested in being obeyed, no matter the cost. The adult is interested in both sides walking away satisfied or a win-win situation. Sounds like you are dealing with a combination of both child and parent; she is only thinking about herself and wants you to do as you are told.

The adult would approach her in a non-threatening way to discuss the situation. War is the last thing you want, it only results in lots of casualties. You might think the last man standing is the "winner" but that ain't how it works in real life.

Another suggestion is not to make the conversation initially centered on the blacksmithing. You have to get friendly with her before you can just toss it out there - otherwise, she'll know she's being worked and will get even more anti-social. You'll have to figure out where her fear lies - is she worried about the house catching on fire, is she a tree-hugger and simply hates smoke, etc? I think it's unlikely she doesn't want you to have fun - the problem is elsewhere.

Once she is on friendly terms, you can do most anything and get away with it...she may even drop the complaint and the fine disappears.

Good luck.

Does she have children who play loud music, even if the vehicle is in the driveway? Does she ever entertain friends in the back yard with alcohol? (the point of this is that once you are outside the walls of your premises, you are in public, even though you are on your own property) Does she have flowers you are 'allergic' to? I am certain if you feel the complaint is frivolous, you would be able to pull a few of your own hat. However, this would be stooping to her level. Otherwise, Wooldridge has the correct approach.
I still have memories of the old Cheech and Chong movie where Chong's Harley Davidson was inside the house with the exhaust vented to his neighbor's roses.............

I had the same problem burning coal or charcoal. Most of the problem with coal was the odor and the problem with charcoal was the sparks. I live in the desert and things burn like crazy with the slightest spark. So I went to gas for my forge. I know my neighbors use charcoal for BBQ but they don't or can't or don't want to see that a spark from the BQ is no different from the forge but I was the big man and went to gas to save a problem. I cleared a large area and spray it down before forging. Then it was the noise of the hammer. I drew the line there. My hammering wasn't as loud and the dogs, burros or children and was intermittent. So we came to a peace agreement. It took several months. They just wanted all of life to be their way or no way. They had a nice home and wanted everyone to be the same as them. That is not life. We are all different and have different expectations in life. I worked with them and got them to work with me. I quit using coal and charcoal and they quit complaining about my noise of hammer blow and anvil rings. He also liked my BBQ set I gave him a lot and brags it up.

thanks for all the advice guys! i think wooldridge is pretty much spot on. this woman is incredibly quiet. has people over now and again but mostly keeps to herself and keeps an immaculate lawn out back (which i am sure fans the flames of her hatred for me because my yard is well and truly a WORK IN PROGRESS). to this end i think gas is really the only way. can anyone give me a pros and cons list of coal vs gas?

Most gas forges I've seen / used are effectively a tube, which can make it difficult or impossible to work with large pieces. However, gas is much cleaner & so forge welding is a lot easier - especially when you start talking 'damascus', i.e. pattern welded steel. You can also see what's going on in the steel much easier in a gas forge, as there's no fuel covering the piece.

Pros and cons. All pro propane from this end. I have used coal, charcoal and propane all and would not go back. I have 2 propane forges currently (down from 4). I have a vertical forge I use for making damascus steel (or forge welding)primarily and a horizontal for general forge work. If I am doing something that won't fit I stop and make a quickie from firebrick and Kaowoo using a venturi burner. That is the only time I use a venturi however and all my other forges use a blower. A blown forge is easier to control, burn hotter (my opinion) and get a neutral atmosphere therefore creating less scale. Jut my opinion.

I think I need to disagree about "difficult to heat large pieces". Yes it is hard to heat large hunks in a one burner forge. It is the same a trying to heat large hunks in a portable coal forge, not a real big fire there in most cases. A sculptor friend of mine has two gas forges, one for small work, a two burner and one for large work, a three burner. The two burner has valves that can turn it into a single burner for real small items. It all depends on how big you want to go, one, two or three burner. The big advantage of gas is it's lack of smoke. That coal smell is what set my neighbors off the most. The occasional spark from charcoal was the next thing that got to them because of their fear of wild fire in the brush. Gas is not an issue, no smoke and no spark. I would recommend that you build an enclosure for you iron work that makes the majority of you smithing a private affair. This way she can't see your mess. It doesn't need to be a tall fence or wall, maybe a meter or meter and a half. Just enough so that she can't see the fire, anvil, slack tub or any other item you use. Also don't forge when she company over.:cool: