I Forge Iron

Alternatives to propane torch for local heating on a quick job

Cleave

I've done some backyard blacksmithing with a campfire forge, but occasionally have need of quick localized heating for small jobs like the one in front of me now - heat and bend the tang on a scythe to get it properly fitted. This particular job I can't do in the fire or a traditional forge as it would kill the heat treatment on the blade.

I have access to a weld shop, and could do this there, but would like the capability at home. The plumbers torch I have is inadequate for these tasks though it did work on a small spring heat treat job.

Any options out there short of buying a full size welder's torch?

Is this something you just want to do one time for this project, or do you want this capability in general moving forward?

If it's a one time thing you could wrap the blade portion in a water soaked towel and you should be able to heat on a coal or charcoal forge and bend the tang without ruining the temper.

If you want the capability in general then you could build a propane burner of Mikey's or Frosty's design, which could be used for local heat (with a flame retention nozzle installed).  You could also buy an induction system designed for mechanics to help remove rusted nuts, but you'd be getting close to the price of a torch setup at that point. I believe you can also still buy an acetylene plumber's torch which gets hotter than a handheld propane torch, but not as hot as oxy/acetylene.

Getting portable focused high intensity heat is going to be a challenge if you don't want to spend any money.

If you can't find an air/acetylene torch kit used on Craig's List, MAPP gas torches put out a lot more heat than the cheap plumbers propane ones.  I got one of the larger ones at a big box store and have used it for tempering back tangs more than once.  I would certainly follow Buzzkill's recommendation to have some sort of heat sink to avoid having the heat run back up the blade.

I'd second the MAPP gas torch. They are very useful and price isnt too bad for a tank and auto ignite torch.

If it is something you might do often I like my small inductor but they are a bit pricy. Great for localized heating on certain things tho. I got the miniductor. Still cheaper than a torch setup and continual bottle changes. 

On Amazon.com you can buy dual use torches (MAP gas, which is actually propylene, and propane). Take the time to find one for about $25; not one of the overpriced torches with electronic ignition; this works fine on butane lighters, but I've yet to find electronic ignition on a MAP or propane torch-head that doesn't quite working sooner or later.

MAP is about one-third hotter than propane; yes, in a dual-fuel torch-head it will heat a 1/2" round bar to red heat quite rapidly.

a