I Forge Iron

Beginner got an ACME (Trenton) Anvil this week

Good Morning, 

I would have posted sooner but I have been building a "Stand" for the Anvil I just recently purchased.

I think I paid a little to much for it but i have been hard pressed to find a decent anvil in this area (SE Oregon, SW Idaho), I got this baby for $525.

The Name Marking says ACME and I make out Trenton behind it. 

The Base Marking Says 100 (I think) so I am assuming 100lbs

SN: looks like A70282 (last digit is a little beat up)

is there a website of SN's to look up this particular anvil?

The face does not look to bad, the Rebound is awesome.

5/8" bearing ball in a clear 1' tube almost 70% 

Only think I did so far was wirebrush the name and markings.

Applied a little WD40

And I hope to be banging on steel in the next week.

Thank you in advance for any advice or thoughts on my purchase. 

ARMY

SE Oregon 

Anvil-Face.JPG

Anvil-NameMarking.JPG

Anvil-Side.JPG

Anvil-BaseMarking.JPG

PS the anvil under this one was a bad mistake ... Cast Iron.. I bought it when i decided I wanted a new hobby before I read anything by anyone about anything.  8-)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Thank you for serving! 

Did you do the rebound test with it stacked like that or flat on the floor? It might have a little effect. Did you test over the heart of the anvil, (Sweet spot) centered over it's body, this is the area where rebound is greatest. Don't be surprised it falls off as you move out the tail or horn, that's normal.

Nice score, that old lady has a few generations of good working life left in her. Just PLEASE don't take a grinder to her, you can't put steel ground off back and that's life to an anvil. Wire brush and boiled linseed oil or my favorite carnuba paste wax applied when she's about fresh coffee temp will keep the rust off. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have.  Always glad to have another vet.  There are quite a few veterans here.  I suspect that perhaps a higher percentage of vets than in the general population.  There may be a potential sociology or psychology thesis on the correlation between military service and blacksmithing or crafts in general.

Nice anvil.  I'd say it is just nicely broken in and has generations of service left.  You are only the custodian for this generation.

GNM

(late of 1/C/1/12 Cav/1 Cav Div (airmobile), Republic of Viet Nam, 1970-71)

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Did you do the rebound test with it stacked like that or flat on the floor? It might have a little effect. Did you test over the heart of the anvil, (Sweet spot) centered over it's body, this is the area where rebound is greatest.

Thank you so much for the feedback.  The first rebound test was indeed sitting on top of the cast iron anvil.

I redid it on the new stand.  16" Tube, first bounce was 13"

I tested from the Hardy Hole to the and of the face (horn end), same results entire length.

As you suspected tail and horn was only a couple of inches of rebound.

Anvil-Rebound.JPG

8 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum,

the Serial number number dates it as made in 1907, On page 361, Anvils in America,

that is pretty neat to know.  is there an online listing or just folks looking it up in a paper copy?

Thank you so much for checking this for me.

I am excited.  After I learn some basic techniques I have a long to do list. 

Nails and maybe a hinge for the shop door and Drawer pulls for our home remodel are near the top

George N M Thank you Sir for your service and paving the way for my generation. 

This beauty has made it to a good home and I hope to treat her right.

So this area I am trying to turn into my little workshop (I don't have a garage/workshop yet, its coming during remodel)

it used to be a old milking barn.  The area I am using is the upper level where the cows would stand.  

I put a shot looking in and a shot looking out. 

On the right is an old wood stove I am using to hold my home made forge.

And right near the door I hit a Steel pipe and plan to mount the Leg vice to it.  

This would give me almost 270 degrees of work around the vice.

At the foot, I was thinking of welding a plate with a little bit of pipe to hold the foot and spread the impact load on the floor.

We are new to this property, moved in last november. 

But it is a work farm growing crops and cows. 

Lots of our stuff is still boxed up

Thank you all Again, I appreciate the support

I look forward to any and all feedback.

Army 

SE Oregon

MilkingBarn-CowLevel.jpg

MilkingBarn-CowLevel-SmallLayout.jpg

LegVice-Plan2.jpg

LegVice-Plan.jpg

Anvil-NewStand.JPG

1 hour ago, ArmySoldier72 said:

is there an online listing or just folks looking it up in a paper copy

Yes I looked it up in a book..

I’m not aware of an online listing that doesn’t violate copyright, or take money away from Mr postman who spent decades researching, collecting and writing the book…

most people either buy the book outright  or go to the library an order it on ILL… 

if you get a copy for yourself  you will be able to read and learn everything you could possibly want too know about your anvil and the manufacture!

14 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Yes I looked it up in a book..

I’m not aware of an online listing that doesn’t violate copyright, or take money away from Mr postman who spent decades researching, collecting and writing the book…

Twistedwillow thank you kindly for the info.

I might just have to invest in that 

Army

It’s definitely worth looking into!

It’ big book an it has a wealth of information in it, you might check it out at the library first then if you like it then you can order it online,

As far as I know he signs every copy, which is pretty cool!

On another note, there’s no need to quote the post right before you, we can just read along, 

generally you wanna use the quote feature for a post that’s farther up the thread, 

if ya need to grab someone’s attention you can just type their name,

it uses extra bandwidth and the moderators have to come behind an delete it, so it kinda clogs things up,