I Forge Iron

Meat Flippers

I've always got a few antler sheds laying around in the shop, and use them for handles for meat flippers, forks, etc. Not really a blacksmith thing, I guess, but I like to do them. I also usually make braided lanyards for the antler handled stuff, not like the one in the picture.

I've never sold any of the antler handled flippers. I've given them all away to friends who are interested in outdoor cooking or to my deer camp buddies.

I've been asked if I would like to demonstrate and sell at an art festival next spring, so I might make up a few as part of inventory...I suppose they might sell.

Steve

Looks nice is the twisted handled pc a flipper also ? Some of my friends would like them I'm sure you wont have trouble getting rid of them !!

Yes, the basket handle is also on a flipper. My photo didn't show all of it. I made that basket out of some 1/8" stuff I had laying around. I was surprised it welded as easy as it did, but I used a block right on the forge to do the weld before it cooled.

These sizes of flipper are all right for small grilling, but for my big fire pit I use a longer version with a wooden handle. Actually, the wooden handles with metal ferrules that you buy for files (they come in three sizes) make good handles for these types of implements.

Steve

How long are typical steak turners?

I started one as a little thank you for a friend who helped me hang my roll up door and I'm not sure how long it should be. I'll finish it up when the state fair is over next weekend. I'll also get back to regularly pestering you guys then.

Frosty

Frosty....I make the smaller ones (Weber grill, deck bbq grill) about 14 inches, not counting the handle. The smallest I've made is 12 inches and that was because I just had a short piece of stainless rod stock left. Larger ones for fire pit or larger grill cooking are about 22 to 24 inches.

Steve

Dutchmancreek, THEY WILL SELL!!! I make them at every demo and I almost always have someone standing there waiting for me to finish, so they can buy it. I just do a relatively plain one. Make a ribbon handle and scroll it back, twist in the middle of the shank and the hook on the end. I use 3/16 inch square stock, 24 inches long. I get $8.00 each. Can't keep them in stock. I'm thinking about raising to $9.00. Good luck on your demo and make some stock up ahead!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some turners that I have forged. These things are like gold down here. I have donated a few to benefit auctions that have sold for $100+. Generally, I sell them for 20-45 depending upon the design. I dreamed up the twisted handle out of boredom one day. Fuller and scroll one end and taper the other, double over the bar stock and twist the two side by side, then put any twist on the shaft and the pigtail on the tapered turner end. I made eighteen of these in one night(8pm-1am) before Christmas last year to fill orders and for gifts. Some of the more simple handle designs are the biggest sellers. I have no shortage of deer horn/antler for handles and have found that by threading the stock and tapping the horn and then a few drops of epoxy make for a lifetime "weld"-otherwise the turning motion of the utensil will loosen the handle. Anyone else have a better "mousetrap" for attaching a antler/bone/wood handle to a metal utensil?? I am eager to hear easier methods...

Dutchmancreek- your basket handle is awesome! Great work.

8504.attach

8505.attach

Anyone else have a better "mousetrap" for attaching a antler/bone/wood handle to a metal utensil?? I am eager to hear easier methods...

I don't thread the stock or handle. I just put annular grooves in the stock, drill the antler, and use epoxy. It holds fine. I also make aluminum or brass caps for the ends of the antler (you can see it in the photo in the first post of this thread).

For neat looking lanyards on the flippers, braid up some paracord (or use leather bootlaces like you do) and add them. I make some decent lanyards with round and square sennets and lanyard knots. I guess I should post a photo or two of them.

Steve