I Forge Iron

I am ready in Gadsden, AL

CharFox

Greetings,

I have been reading in this forum for over a month now, gathering information and getting ideas, watching recommended YouTube videos linked and absorbing as much information as I can. I feel as if the next step now is to connect with any local blacksmiths that, hopefully, are near me. =)

I live in Gadsden, Alabama. I would very much appreciate a volunteer opportunity in order to learn more with a hands on approach of the smithing trade. I currently work in the Birmingham area and commute 1.5 hours daily so this makes Monday to Thursday a bit complicated to set something up. However, Friday to Sunday I am usually free (If I'm not working the land).

I am surrounded by 15 acres of trees and know how to make my own coal. I am currently clearing a small area 30'x60' with my chainsaw, tractor, pickax and shovel in order to start constructing my own shop (after I grade the soil of course! xD). I am originally from Puerto Rico and have lots of experience building with concrete, therefor plan to make my shop out of concrete. (Feel free to ask for guidance or advice with concrete building if you need any).

Are there any other Black Smiths nearby that are willing to recruit a "part time" volunteer in the Gadsden, AL area?

Hahahah! That's funny. I would have probably had a "Uhhhhh huh?" Moment. =)

Well, I looked online and found a "local" guy that lives/works about an hour and change away. Steve Stone, from Stone Farm Foundry... I called on Thursday in the morning twice, left a voicemail, just in case sent a text to the number listed but as of now... No response yet. The voicemail I left was to ask mostly about accepting a volunteer to help him in his shop.

The website hasn't been updated since 2021 so I hope he is doing good and just hasn't had a chance to get back to me.

A foundry doesn't use anvils and hammers, they cast metal in molds. Two very different crafts, he might know someone though. Don't blow up his phone or he'll most likely block you. Volunteering at a foundry to learn blacksmithing is like volunteering at an airport to learn to operate earth moving equipment. 

Of course you could luck out so don't write him off, just don't be a pest. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Hahahahahahah That's funny!

While I agree 100% with your statement I feel the need to make the interjection that I believe they call themselves a foundry for poetic reasons. They have forges, anvils and Smith solutions, like stair rails, hanging pot holders, wall candle holder/hangers, etc. =)

But okay, I won't blow up his phone!

Yeah, business names often have little or no resemblance to what they do. Maybe take a slower approach at contact and just tell them you're learning and would like some help. A straight out offer to volunteer strikes me as a little forward.

Frosty The Lucky.

Great News everyone!

Mr. Farm called me back last week and apologized for not getting back sooner since he was out of town. I informed him that there was nothing to apologize for, we all have our life to manage and that it was all good! So we are set up to meet on Friday or Saturday and I cannot wait for the week to be over already! Hahahah! I'll report back with new updates as they come in. (In case you guys are following my Journey into Blacksmithing)