I Forge Iron

New from Minnesota

Hello all I’m brand new to this.  I am thinking this a skill and hobby I would like to explore more.  I am just north of the twin cities.  I would love to meet up with someone who wouldn’t mind teaching an eager learner.  I want to make sure this is something I enjoy and see myself doing before I sink big bucks into it

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

To start blacksmithing doesn't take big bucks. The basics are some steel, something to heat it with, something to hit it with and something to hit it on. I suggest reading through the stickies in forges & JABOD, improvised anvils and general Blacksmithing.

BTW: We won't remember your location once leaving this thread and so many answers rely upon knowing your general location, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile...

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

There are a number of Artist-Blacksmith's Association of North America affiliates in MN and WI.  Check out the web site at www.abana.org and contact some of the local groups.  There is nothing like learning from folk more experienced.  Just show up to an event and they will probably put a hammer in  your hand and start you pounding on hot metal.  You can learn on your own.  Many of us have.  But there is no substitute live, face to face, learning.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard, BryceandBeans.  :huh: glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of meeting up with forum members living within visiting distance. There are a bunch of blacksmiths in the Twin Cities area, I'd point you at an old friend of mine but blacksmithing isn't really his thing. 

About your logon. There's GOTTA be a story there. Give, or I'll have to make something up.

Frosty The Lucky.

Have you tried the Guild of Metalsmiths?  I used to be an instructor for a beginners course they sponsor.  I believe they now offer3, 4-day beginner courses.  A great bunch of guys too.  Lots to learn from the old-timers in the group and if you want to learn, they are more than anxious to teach.

Dan

Bryce yourselves, lads -- he has only Bean here less than a day.  ;-)

Bryceman -- get yourself a hot fire, a big hunk'a steel for an improvised anvil and a hammer. Heat up like 20" of 1/2" mild steel rod in the coals and hammer it into a taper. Make a fire poker or something. See if you enjoy how that feels. If you do, maybe flatten one end and bend it to make a coal rake. There are a whole raft of basic tools like that which you'll need as you progress that you can start making. Don't start with tongs -- too tricky for the first efforts. You'll want to own an angle grinder and a vise, for sure. Find some events in the area, as the guys suggest. If you dig it, maybe make a JBOD solid fuel forge or if you're ambitious, a one-burner gas forge from one of those over-the-counter helium tanks or an empty propane tank with some Kast-O-Lite 30 for a liner.