I Forge Iron

Stand Alone

yt12

That should work fine for a vise stand, yt12.  It kind of looks like the jackstands we used in railcar repair.  Ours were a solid piece though.  We used air jacks or a Pettibone crane to lift the car up, remove the centerpin and roll the wheel set out.  Then lower it onto the stands.  Kind of give you the willies when someone bumped the jacked up car with a forklift while you were under there with your welding hood down.

nodebt----I think you nailed it,this came from a retired career railman---along w/ the 2 mega bottle jacks. I put one of the jacks to work last weekend----helped a friend set a post jack in their basement to support the joists-----had the distinct feeling that one too many pumps was gonna lift the whole house off the foundation-----over-kill is a good thing !!

I saw those bottle jacks and never even heard of using them to lift cars.   The air jacks we used were monsterously powerful.  They all lifted at different speeds so you had to watch what your partners was doing on the other side of the car or ka-blamo.  I tried to find a video of them in use but couldn't.  Here's a picture.  Be sure to post a photo of your vise mounted on there... :)

eairtool1_pneumatic_jack_duff_norton_100_ton_part_126R_gearflow_main-main.png.0bc75d2179dfbcd5dcb3da16531f7e3a.png