I Forge Iron

Trouble seeing details in glowing metal

IC; don't forget to have one of the scary strong rare earth magnets in your first aid kit, (in a clean ziplock bag of course.)   Lots of times being able to remove a bit of dust/scale/swarf with a magnet helps bigtime!  I am using one that came from a disk drive from back when our Friday Lunch in field support was destroying disk drives for security reasons.

If you are still wondering how to see your center punch marks etc on your iron, I use the end of a farriers rasp. The end has a slight radius and I bevel it to an edge. I run this over the area where I know the mark is. It will pop into view. The reason is a wire brush will usually remove all the scale including in the divot. There is no scale to make a contrast. the rasp on the other hand removes only the scale on the surface, not from the divot made by the center punch. Now you have contrast and can see the center punch mark. I often use my farriers rasp to remove scale instead of a wire brush, by the way. It does a great job and never wears out. Any file or rasp will work.