I Forge Iron

An unusual chainmail project

JHCC

They have the Maille oriented 90 deg to how it would be when using it in armour. It holds the weave open that way, better for air flow; but also better for points to pierce it as well. Oriented the other way the weave slides together horizontally make it more flexible and putting more metal between you and unpleasant people...

It's interested that they went that way instead of using large sheets of expanded metal, say in stainless that would have been a lot faster to source than doing it in mail.  Any info on if the rings are welded or just butted?

And it had to be said: A mackintosh for the  Mackintosh!

I stopped the video and was looking and didn't see any butted links, obviously no riveted links but I didn't see any obvious welds.  Perhaps machine done to get connection without any deformation?

Now can we get piece to recycle into armour when it finally comes down?  (And how will they keep it dry when they do remove the box?)

If you pause the video at the 2:17 mark, you can see the butt welds and their HAZs. They're extremely uniform, so I'm guessing that they used some kind of resistance welder.

If I understand them correctly, the plan is to use the box for fifteen years or so, until the house is dry enough to be permanently restored with something other than the current cement.

(Side note: My dad was a HUGE fan of Macintosh. This is one of those things that makes me sad that he's no longer around so I could share it with him.)

Even though the narrator, a very pretty, young Scotswoman with a really thick Scots accent, says the maille was "hand sewn" I think it must have been made on a machine.  It is too big a project and too uniform to have been made by hand for every link.  Maybe smaller sheets were "sewn" together by hand.  I'd be interested to know how much it weighs, both in total and per square foot/meter.

The fact that a Charles Rennie MacIntosh house leak is similar to the works of Frank Lloyd Wright.  To say a Wright  building leaks is kind of redundant.  Great architect but not very good at practicalities like keeping the elements out or draining water off.  I suppose great minds and concepts can't be bothered by such mundane details.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yup 2:17 shows it welded, I guess I stopped it at the wrong shot. Individually linked and then zapped I would guess from the narrator.  GNM;  they say it weighs 8 tons (metric I would assume.) 

It is interesting that a lot of "cutting edge" architects/designers had material problems; like Frank Lloyd Wright here in the USA.

I was sorry when the Glasgow School of Art building CRM designed burned down fairly recently.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, ThomasPowers said:

It's interested that they went that way instead of using large sheets of expanded metal, say in stainless that would have been a lot faster to source than doing it in mail. 

I’ve been thinking about this, and I suspect that the answer might lie in the local climate. Helensburg is on the western coast of Scotland and gets a lot of wind — more, in fact, than the famously windy Chicago. Since the mail offers very little resistance to the wind — having greater porosity and flexibility than expanded metal — it’s a better choice for this particular site. 

• 2 months later...