I Forge Iron

New (to me) Champion rivet forge questions

Tom May

I picked up a rivet forge for a few bucks at a local flea market.  I'm a little curious about how this guy is supposed to work.  There's no firepot as such, and the grate sits (perfectly) on that little lip at the top of the tuyere.  I'm sure this thing is pretty old because all the hardware on the hand-cranked blower uses square nuts.

So I'm curious... should there be a layer of refractory cement or something that comes up the top of the grate?  It's close to 3/4" thick.

There are no stampings anywhere that indicate that cement is to be used.

20220126_125102.jpg

20220126_125036.jpg

Not refractory, but a nice clay/sand mixture (roughly 1:3 mix IMO) should do the trick. My forge has a ducks nest firepot (it's cast iron, but you could mold the shape out of clay too.

IMG_2021-05-25_19-42-31.jpeg.41640d72c4ebb62206bbb383694ea140.jpeg

Clay rich soil is fine for the clay portion. Some people use cheap unscented (clean) kitty litter.

(Cross posted with quick-draw Thomas; bested again! I thought the same thing about the grate. That one will probably work, but might clog up due to the small holes)

44 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Definitely not the original grate!  What's the air like?

I was wondering whether it was original.  It seems a little hokey, but then on the other hand it's the exact right diameter to sit there.  The air is decent from the blower.  It runs like you'd expect.

44 minutes ago, Frazer said:

Not refractory, but a nice clay/sand mixture (roughly 1:3 mix IMO) should do the trick.

I'll try to find some clay.  Not really a lot of it in New Hampshire.

No, probably not. It doesn't need to be special clay, kitty litter works.

For the grate I've seen people lay round stock across the opening and call it a day. The larger openings make it less prone to clogging up with clinker/ash.

new grate (Copy).jpg

(Credit to Bluerooster for the picture)

Also, you guys are amazing.  The only forum that's as helpful as you are is probably the Coleman collectors forum.  There seem to be like five guys there refreshing their screens constantly to answer obscure questions about antique Coleman lantern parts.

When I built our forge I made a grate like yours and had to continually clear the holes of clinker & ash. Since we had the pottery side still up & running, I replaced the grate with a commercial one and built the ducks nest out of fire clay we had on hand. It's been fine for a couple of decades now. Some pictures I took for another member.

100_2066.thumb.JPG.a28423772b5634f98d7fdb6652cd2a0e.JPG

100_2067.thumb.JPG.734cb61ae8f14b8fd6ec1fdb10aeb12a.JPG

100_2186-1.jpg.ed127a63152301440041063231b61f48.jpg

100_2188-1.thumb.jpg.388b032a9a86f3a3726fc24aa704706a.jpg