I Forge Iron

Low Budget Build UK - Outer Hebrides

I’m almost there. Wind and water tight, well a couple of drips:D.

Biggest spend was 20 5 by 2s, £550 :( I have no off cuts left! A lot of measuring! 

Everything else was bought at car boot sales, on line sites and bartered for with, well you know me, fireside sets:D

Not sure what the current policy is on loads of photos, we didn’t used to like that because of varying internet speeds? Let me know if I should stop! Anyway, here’s how I started, I slightly fractured a water mains when clearing the site. Ducks were happy. 

673F2A13-6FFA-463C-9BDE-E888ABB246C2.jpeg

08F664AC-D097-45DB-863F-124EE8C380D8.jpeg

944EE414-7FE2-4159-A002-E5DB93D4729C.jpeg

Got down to the hard and got a few tonnes of 3 inch down spread and roughly level. 

CEA08F7D-66F9-46FC-9F71-47E096298E9F.jpeg

E3A7A161-C8FF-4A07-9261-336476630F1C.jpeg

B4816295-ED4D-4544-B852-91E1CEBA000E.jpeg

Pulled some timber out of a skip then had to go to the mainland and track down cement 

Spent the big bucks on the timber 

81DCA153-151C-47D3-8566-469157FE00D5.jpeg

04682936-C136-4210-90BB-07B134341D29.jpeg

889C3576-A758-4ADA-A1B5-2F4067AB73E6.jpeg

Just now, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Looks like the chickens were happy too.:D Should have had my wife there for you, she would have dowsed and located the water main.

Man I wasn’t popular. It was ‘bath night’ in the village!:D

369B4B30-7A98-4BFD-9ABA-9761E2BC5441.jpeg

EDBB1431-8A9E-42C3-AC5B-3307C70EAC34.jpeg

8087BB01-BF99-426C-8175-A5EBD2F5CDBF.jpeg

6727288C-9BB2-40C6-903E-B5C6EDADC2C7.jpeg

CE853060-2005-4D97-927B-E20213EDD106.jpeg

I managed to lift the windows(second hand, swapped for a few tins of wd40) into place with ratchet straps and supporting them when taking up the slack. 

Sheets were from a demolished cowshed down south.  Was sheeting into the dark to beat the weather.

09683F00-07EE-4B09-87B3-16E14DC4C653.jpeg

BA0F71AD-20BB-4CD5-9314-0F5A3D88895D.jpeg

F96B9094-823E-4E63-ADF9-12606FD074F9.jpeg

762E08F8-46CE-4C6C-87BC-25A696C819DD.jpeg

80949C2C-85A3-4E30-8CCE-0CF93B0AB9B0.jpeg

Ran out of timber so some pallet wood went in to strengthen the frame:rolleyes:

949B5D51-4E85-4DF5-8A7B-4D8850B2423C.jpeg

94F9F916-2A58-4370-830C-65FD6A4947ED.jpeg

1A3AA673-B357-4349-ACBB-8C9BE8F4C4AC.jpeg

Stripped down and serviced what ‘followed me home’ over the last few months. 

FA198D7D-6E1A-4306-A374-021939D53B4B.jpeg

B95D3B02-238D-49B3-84E5-BA139F1C1DC0.jpeg

CDDEE9D4-3B4F-404B-8538-27865543D682.jpeg

Moved some tools in. Getting some steel hot after quite a few months and without banging my head made my day. :)

246B03AB-464A-4819-B0C4-A433DC45066B.jpeg

F334CFA5-B93E-4826-A488-554F3403E2C3.jpeg

Now having a large dram!

2 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Looks like it is coming right along.

Thanks man, I’m getting there! I’m knackered! 

It’s one of these mysterious ceramic chip forges circa 1980. First impression is it’s sipping on the propane and getting things hot quickly.  I bought it from someone who picked it up from a college, I had it stripped down but think I have it tuned quite well now. Looking forward to working with it.  There’s not much information online about them, so happy to share my findings:)

1 hour ago, MacLeod said:

Ran out of timber so some pallet wood went in

No man is out of timber if there are pallets around. Goodness what an Unblacksmitherly thing to say. :rolleyes:

There was a lot of talk about ceramic chip forges back in the day on theforge.list when it was the go to blacksmith talk site around. It's still there but darned quiet anymore.

FlameFast keeps it's tech details pretty close to the vest but chip forges used to be THE gas fired forging hearths in the UK, maybe Europe, I don't recall. There were quite a few folk from the UK on theforge.list and we yanks didn't know much about them to we talked a lot.

I've always wanted to give on a try, much good was said about them.

Frosty The Lucky.

This was the first I had heard of ceramic chip forge.  After some internet research I see that they are still made in the UK but the price of a new one which appears to be a bit larger than Mac's is over $US 7k.  Also, they do not appear to get as hot as solid fuel or regular propane forges.  However, they do look like a more neighbor friendly set up than a sold fuel forge.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

As I recall from old conversations you can turn the fire up till you can melt steel but that causes problems for the burner under the chips. 

My concern was about pushing a piece back into the chips without deforming it and how do I watch to make sure the thin sections don't melt while the thicker are heating. 

Yeah, I know leave forming the thin sections till last but that was way back, late 80s maybe early 90s. Nobody had pointed that bit of the obvious out to me in the day.

I couldn't bite the bullet and pay $7k even if they were available locally but I'd sure like to test drive one.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

you can turn the fire up till you can melt steel but that causes problems for the burner under the chips. 

The air and gas is forced up through a grid of 1.5mm holes, before I got this one running I had to drill them all out as they were full of burnt steel and solder so I imagine that’s that issue.  I didn’t pay thousands for this one, picked it up for £200. It’s very quiet, a lot quieter than my gas bottle forge.  

The ceramic chips are very light so no deforming of hot stock yet.  The only issue I had with them was that on the first go m they started spitting and shooting themselves out of the forge, in a tin shed it was like a soundtrack from a gun fight in a John Wayne western!  They soon settled down so I put this down to them being stored in a bucket in damp conditions  for the last however many years.

I’m looking forward to using it more and discovering its and my capabilities and shortcomings. 

I’m still getting distracted by the steel bonnets George! Didn’t realise that MacDonald wrote the Flashman books I enjoyed years ago! One of the most gripping history books I’ve read in a long time. 

Do you have a source for the replacement chips?  They do wear with use.

One nice thing about using used sheeting is that it makes the shop look like it's been there a long time!  However most folks I know flip the sheets so the rusty surface is on the inside as they will last longer with the tinned side towards the weather.  My shop's walls were a friends roof that was replaced after a major hail storm.  The original deep blue color was sun blasted to a nice pastel but still in good shape so I used it towards the outside to help the shop "blend in" as most folks in my area have an outbuilding or 6...

We have a free service that will locate buried lines before you build; I think they got called out 3 times to get power to my shop.  Evidently the utilities decided it was cheaper to pay for the "free" service than to do repairs.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

source for the replacement chips? 

Hi Thomas, hope you're keeping well,  I've found a few now in the UK although I got quite a lot with the forge to keep me going.  There's also a few on mainland Europe that ship. Took a wee while on the phone, google doesn't tel, you everything. 

I thought about shiny side out for the sheets but passing neighbours would think I had won the lottery:D also the holes were already on the ridges of the sheets and the roof took most of them. All that being said I do like the rustic look of it and there's a good few years left in them. The pipe I burst was a spur off the mains that goes to just a handful of homes, I knew it was there and thought it could withstand me flattening the crushed rock.  No real harm done. 

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Nice looking couple of vises in the back of the van!

JHCC, you sure you're not Scottish? Good spot, I had arranged to purchase the leg vice which is a bit wider than mine at 5 inch and is in great condition.  It was going for a song, so I wanted to sweeten the deal for the seller.  When I went to collect it while down south i brought a couple of miniature bottles of good malt in the van, the gentleman I bought the vice from was so taken aback with that wee gesture he threw in that heavy machine vice as well. I was delighted. He offered more tools as well but I knew my van was going to be on its axles heading back north and I didn't want the ferry listing.:) 

It's back to fireside sets for a while now. Since Frosty educated me on technique the order book has swollen. 

The other issue with rust on the inside is that it falls on everything over time.  Of course out here we can measure more dust precipitating than rain water... The chips was just a thought to keep an eye open to get them on the cheap over time rather than having to, gasp, *buy*, them commercially new! (Because you had to have them *now*...)

Solid fuel and chip forges are faster heating due to conduction being better for heat transfer than radiation. Only faster method I know of is induction!

On 1/24/2022 at 10:26 AM, Machine shop said:

feedback on the chip

Hi Machine Shop! A pleasure. I’ve done a bit of forging using it now and am getting to grips with it.  I am stunned by how little gas it uses in comparison to my T burner gas bottle forge and enjoying the relative whisper it makes too.  The speed at which it heats is also a game changer for me.
Frosty was right about localised heating when you have a lighter bit of steel on a piece of work. I lost the beard off a dragon I was making for a lamp stand and an antler off a stag head. I’ve persevered though and as the ceramic chips are very light, fine and easy to rake around your work I’ve found that a bit of practice and care allows you localise the heat quite effectively. I have no negatives so far.  Great for making the hand bottle openers, got these down to two in an hour now. 

The other ‘achievement’ I have made was to straighten a two metre length of coil spring for another job- impossible in my other forge:).

You can pick them up cheap - but some sellers are still wanting mega bucks.  I think there’s a general fear of them as there’s a lack of information on them. 

Will update more as I move on. Any aspect you would like investigated just give me a shout :) Happy hammering!