I Forge Iron

How do I value my anvil?

Hey guys, I have an anvil that I've had for a while that I plan on moving along but not really sure how to come up with a fair value. It's a Columbian cast steel anvil, abt 74-75#. They were made until 1925 after which they switched to imports. It's attached to a base that was built out of framing beams that came from the Lartigue House ca.1832. Sherman's officers spent the night in the house on their march thru SC. The tree rings on the bottom are over 100 years so the wood the stand is made of was growing in the early 1700s. Together it makes somewhat of a unique item and can't decide what's fair. Anvil and stand weigh 196#. Any thoughts are appreciated.

271283087_263913069176854_4426085809252444376_n.jpg

271464685_2725091261128468_1897894654321119331_n.jpg

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma! And welcome to the forum! 

that’s a pretty cool background story on the stand! 

as far as pricing it, Columbian made a pretty good anvil and yours looks to be in decent usable shape,

im not sure what the going rate is in SC but here I normally pick up anvils around $2 a pound,

I think Frosty said up in Alaska he’s seen $6-8 a pound cause used anvils are fewer up there then here,

id say somewhere in the middle at $4-$6 would be fair but again I don’t know your local going rates,

now that all being said a collector would probably pay more for the history then a blacksmith will, 

Sorry I’m not much help,

maybe someone on here from your area can chime in with a better idea of your local prices! 

Most of the folks I know are buying anvils to use and so don't care much about anything past the 74-75# cast steel Columbian which was made post ACW in Cleveland Ohio. If the stand is not the correct height for the user it will need to be modified or replaced.  The age of the wood in the stand doesn't do anything for me as a user.  I've got 100+ year old mining timber stands, used horse trailer floor oak stands, stands I built from my Parents pergola.  Been smithing 41 years and never counted the rings in the stand.

I'd suggest contacting the local ABANA affiliate as they may have a better idea about local prices and perhaps have someone where the back story might help the price.

TW , I prefer to be more fluid in my work, and not as viscous..... ;)  Spelling Nazis can be vicious... :D

DWH - the anvil is fairly small, and has some condition issues (edges) from what I can see in the pictures, so I would not expect top dollar. Say around $3 , or $225.  A good general shop anvil size is 125#-175# in my opinion.  The stand would have to be modified for me, as I hate chains wrapped around an anvil waist.  As to the source of the wood, do you have any provenance?  The wood may be more valuable to a wood worker than a smith.