I Forge Iron

New to me post vise. ID help?

Mr.Thirsty_Work

So picked up a couple post vises in northern Idaho. I'm in Helena Montana. The one is clearly a Columbia vise, but the other has very little stamping. All I can find is FK and a II both on the solid box. Shown in the pictures. I haven't weighed it, Buti guess it to be 65#+. 4.5" jaws. Any ideas of what brand or age?

PXL_20220108_201413135.jpg

PXL_20220108_201422942.jpg

PXL_20220108_201438785.jpg

PXL_20220108_201447847.jpg

PXL_20220108_201454393.jpg

PXL_20220108_201505057.jpg

PXL_20220108_201548641.jpg

PXL_20220108_201613771.jpg

We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile. The markings on the screw box usually won't help as they were considered as being consumable and were sold separately in many catalogs like Sears & Roebuck. Other than that it looks like a good vise if the screw & screw box are in good shape. It looks like someone has welded some reinforcement to the leg. The bevels on the legs is a clue but for the life of me I can't remember which manufactures used that (maybe Trenton). I'm sure someone will be along to help about that.

I have a couple Trenton’s but they don’t look quite like that, they’re screw boxes are different as well as they have the spade shape mounts, 

The screw box looks kinda like a Peter Wright to me, but the mount is wrong for a PW, they have the spade with the extra fourth hole in a round circle at the point, 

that all being said someone could have mixed and matched the screw box, mount and vise body over the years to, 

Definitely looks like it's been well used. Some support has been welded to the mounting bracket where it looks to have possibly begun cracking. The leg looks like it has a couple degree bend (hence the supports there). I know Peter Wright had forged bevels, but other than that and the shape of the screw box, I don't really see much else to indicate Peter Wright. Although they were known for making these & then shipping them out unbranded to other companies to sell as their own.

Still looking for a tree I can cut . . . mount my vise to a piece of it . . . put it near the forge . . . but that way it will be kinda sorta portable. 

Have to keep the center lane open so I can get my quad in and out . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

It’s usable for light stuff as is, but if you really want to work hard with it then it’s gonna put some major stress on your mounting bracket

but don’t despair!!! There is a fix!….

Just make a new leg and weld it on where the original was broke off! 

then you can use it as hard as you like! 

I had a postvise with a greenstick fracture that we first rewelded the fracture and then forged out a strip of wrought iron and spirally wrapped it around the leg where the break had been and then forge welded that all together too.  High grade WI, you can't see the weld seam for most of the section welded.  Almost made me want to try a barrel!