I Forge Iron

Outdoor propane forge

Aremel

I'm looking to start bladesmithing and just wondering because I live in rainy old Wales, would a carport over a propane forge be okay to use, also thinking the cold climate would effect the working time of the metal? I'm new to this but have read books and books regarding bladesmithing and watched countless videos and just want to make sure I'm not jumping into something which will just not work. Thanks in advance. 

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma! and welcome to the the forum! 

if you haven’t yet then you might wanna take a look at the read this first thread! And you may wanna update your profile location that way other smiths in your area can hook up with you! 

to answer your question I’m sure the carport will do just fine, 

as far as the climate goes your good there to, we have members working in much colder weather and they do just fine, 

don’t worry just set up your smithy under your carport and get to forging! 

remember post pictures if you are able to! We love to see work and sometimes it helps to see the issues that you may be dealing with! 

Aremel, welcome aboard.  Post your general location in your profile, please.  We won't recall it after we leave this thread.  Rainy old Wales is pretty temperate and warm in comparison to 7500' above sea level here in Wyoming, USA.  We also have folk here in places like Alaska, Russia, Sweden, Finland, the Outer Hebrides, and other cold climates.  You should have no problems with your car port to keep the rain off your head.  You may want to set up a tarp to keep wind and blown rain out horizontally.

Welcome to the craft.  Many folk get into it with the idea of making blades but move on to other aspects of blacksmithing.  I make blades on occasion but it is not my favorite project because it involves so much bench work of grinding, polishing, making hilts and handles, scabbard leather work, etc. and I'd rather be at the anvil hitting hot metal.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Preheat your tools!  It was 19 degF out recently and I hung a small wood fire off the horn of my large anvil and kept it loaded until the anvil was warm to the touch---made welding a billet much easier.  The hammer was placed by the forge to warm up.  Back when I worked with the swordmaker we'd hang a paint can with some holes punched in it on the horn and heel of his 400# anvil to warm it in the winter---and then bicker over who got to sit on the nice warm anvil in between heats!

A friend of mine uses a clothes iron to preheat his anvil face.  Turns it on first thing when he goes in the shop and by the time he's ready to forge it's taken the chill off!