I Forge Iron

Meditation on an anvil's history

My old teacher Fred Crist posted the following on Facebook; I am sharing it here with his permission.

Sometimes I wonder about the simplicity of an Anvil design and all it can  make. Then I sit there looking at it, having a cup of coffee, wishing it could talk about its 100 + years in service. What would it say??? This [180lb Soderfors] anvil came out of the Yellin Shop, purchased new in 1917, shortly after Yellin moved into the new shop at 5520 Arch St. It was used for work in the Federal Reserve and countless jobs that rolled through the shop in the 60 years before I arrived. When I was hired in 1977, it was the anvil I began working on. Before me, the only direct knowledge I have of it is, it had been used by Luiggi Boccanero; it was his station as master blacksmith. He had started at the Yellin shop under the tutelage of Yellin and  Konnetsky ( 2nd in command under Yellin in the forge shop) back in the 30s. He wore a suit and tie to work as many of the workers of the time did. He was proud of his job as a Blacksmith but referred to himself as a metalworker!

For 80 years this anvil was used on a daily basis in the Yellin shop; I can only imagine the iron that was forged on its face and horn. Ahh, what stories it could tell. When the shop closed down, I was lucky enough to have it passed on to me and continue to use it every day in my shop. The original teakwood block was falling apart, so I replaced it with an oak block and retained the original straps as a connection to its historic past. When I work on it, I am reminded of the importance of creating good forge work that is appropriate to its past and carries on its legacy.  

Just a morning thought over coffee, now back to work!!!!!!!!!

268513313_10217727465293042_4213007874187780019_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Zt7nB2_CcmsAX9qQ7cl&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkl1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8iJIajaDXQQO6ETBV7I5wFaQVfqS40w14aF6ycoEtDFg&oe=61C646FB

it looks like new!

that’s definitely a Awesome example of all the training, experience and hammer control that all the owners had, that used that anvil, an there’s just one little chip! 

compared to a lot I find that are usable but have excessive wear an tear from people who didn’t have much if any hammer control, and it shows on them lol,