I Forge Iron

Bernsdorfer German Powerhammer

The only person I know of with one is Alec Steele. He may have some information, or know where to possibly get it, but I don't know how easy he would be to contact. But, the man Alec bought his from may know more. His name is Nigel Barnett, and his business name is Fransham Forge, I think. He's also in the U.K.

Mark Krause is the self-contained hammer guru here in the U.S., and he know A Lot. The caveat there, however, is that I don't know that he would know much about that specific make of hammer.

Hopefully that all will help.

Mr. Fellner,

Make your own Dies. I have made mine from offcuts from the people who make big Loader buckets, 2.5" thick plate. I machined them and have been using them for over 20 years, you could say they last. The key is, don't make them hard so they can chip!! Measure the length and width of the grooves in your Sow Blocks. The tapered key/wedge can be machined or heat up a key that is close and drive it in hot, it will upset to the perfect shape. Don't think hard, think the easiest way.

Most bigger machines use parts from someone else in Industry. Make it easy to find parts for, don't worry about trying to contact the Manufacture from 60-80 years ago.

Merry Almost, Neil