I Forge Iron

Champion no 1 blower

Justin Topp

Recently picked up this champion no 1 blower. Everything turns and moves smooth without play. It was extremely smooth once I added oil. No heavy corrosion anywhere. 

I’m excited since I’ve been looking for a cast iron, belt driven blower for years now. This one came up and I offered $50 and got it. Only took 6 hours of driving but it was worth it to me!

Once I get a motor I will be turning a flat belt pulley for it so i can power it. 

06F969BA-7D14-46C7-9383-4E6AE1D15AC5.jpeg

0A7BEA49-07AA-4FE7-9127-B2F7E7F4EE92.jpeg

Interesting- I picked up a #1 earlier in the year that has some differences. I have a capped babbit bearing on both sides of the pulley, both topped with a grease zerk. I'm guessing they might have replaced the original oiler ( or maybe not?).  Is your pulley flat? Mine is slightly crowned. I also don't have that doodad you have at the end of the shaft- play adjuster? Anyway, it is cool how simple and effective those blowers are. Looking forward to what you end up doing with it. I'm a bit backed up on projects right now, and have already a good supply of working blowers, so  my belt drive blower setup is not a priority right now.

Steve

Mine is babbit as well. They are grease caps not oil caps but they are missing the threaded plunger so I’m just using oil. 

my pulley is flat, they need to be so the flat belt doesn’t slip off if it’s slightly misaligned. 

Im not sure what the end thing is. Probably something to take up the slack like you say. 

I have good enough blowers as is but I love old tools so its hard to say no to One like this haha. They also just look cooler and are quieter running than most modern blowers. 

I’m keeping an eye on my sick toddler today an he’s napping right now,

but I’ll get you some pictures of me he foos blower in a couple of hours when I’m free to get out to the shop, 

the big star blower is buried in the barn so it will be awhile before I can get to it, but when I do I’ll send you some pictures of it to, 

Here’s a link to my foos blower I posted pictures already before an I forgot about it earlier, 

it’s got a 4” outlet and the housing is 17” but it’s in pretty ruff shape, 

ive been meaning to drag the big star blower out for awhile now, I’ll try an do that soon because I don’t have any pictures of it, to share right now,

it’s in a lot better shape than this foos blower and is belt driven 

I believe It’s just a odd ball brand not used in a lab,

it’s been awhile since I researched the company so I don’t remember much information on them, but I did see an old advertisement once showing they did make other blacksmithing forges and blowers 

Foos had other product lines of stuff they sold too that were non smith related, 

But I don’t think their blacksmithing stuff really ever caught on compared to champion, Buffalo an Otto brands,

Im guessing that’s why there’s not much of their stuff around compared to the big three brands,