I Forge Iron

Can anyone identify these markings?

Hello all,

Got a piece of leaf spring from a junkyard and I was setting out to make a hot set, so I figured I'd clean up the steel a little bit and suddenly under all the gunk I see these markings:

EDRoJ2n.jpeg

Does this mean anything to anyone?  Is it just a date of manufacture?  Some kind of serial number?  Or is there some way I can learn to tell what kind of steel it is right away before I go spark testing/file testing/etcetc?  I'm just trying to learn so when I use leaf spring in the future I'll know what's up.  Any assistance is appreciated.

And spark test not only each car part but each car part from each make and year model.

We owned one car that had some car parts from one model year and some car parts from another model year on the same vehicle.  Came from the dealer that way.  Made getting replacement parts a real challenge.

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

And you are assuming that every other leaf spring in the world is going to be the same?  *Test*!  (I've run into 1 leaf spring that was low alloy strain hardened and couldn't be quench hardened, of course that was one in 40 years...)

Absolutely not, I was just wondering if there was any standardization that might give a clue as to what kind of steel it is, but based on my grinding it is high carbon.  Thank you, IronDragon, that was helpful.  I am almost certain I'm dealing with a very high carbon steel at this point because lol, this thing is a xxxxxx to hammer.

Edited by Mod34
Inappropriate language

• 3 weeks later...