I Forge Iron

Roman Puglio

George N. M.

Thanks George, another rich archeological site to watch. Modern tech is detecting so much ancient stuff from fossilized pre Cambrian bacteria to early civilizations and more. I can't wait to see what folks turn up when the Tricorder becomes available.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have always been intrigued by the construction of these.  Very often everything except the blade looks like it has been cast.  I don't know of any metallurgical analyses of iron vs. steel in these style of blades or wrought vs. cast.  I can believe a cast handle in brass/bronze/latten/orichalcum being fitted to a forged iron or steel blade but when the guard, grip, and hilt are all one piece in a ferrous material I have questions.

I don't know of any replications using period technology.  Thomas?  Thoughts?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I haven't see good x-rays of the hilts to see if I can see how they were made.  I blew up the triptych of that one and I'd think that the hilt was assembled  in three parts: guard, grip, pommel; with the tang going all the way through, perhaps being riveted at the top.

Casting of iron and steel not a good guess for BC Rome.  Most likely low in carbon Wrought Iron  for the blade and hilt.  Getting into  early AD we start seeing piled blades and blades with higher C or Phosphorus edges, still generally NOT heat treated.  ("The Celtic Sword" Radomir Pleiner has good info about the metallurgy of Rome's enemies the Celts; but much later in time from when that blade was used.)