I Forge Iron

Does anyone know this Brand?

AlexDegens

Hello everyone.

Alex here from the Netherlands. 
I have an anvil that has been in my shop for a long while now. However I can’t figure out what brand it is or where it is from. 
I have been told it could be from the Netherlands, Groningen to be exact. 

Does anyone know more about this anvil?

I hope someone can shine a light on this. Thanks in advance.

Alex

69F9554F-CC9F-47FB-8756-7EABA0F5833D.jpeg

17D40C30-2B76-4E2F-BED5-8145D0386D5A.jpeg

1EFFA966-C5D6-4F3A-B72D-5F0BE26B9CDD.jpeg

438DB69F-6A5D-4EA8-8F40-3302EF3A6303.jpeg

0DF7B776-A5EC-4A04-A076-3BAF8FC2F8A6.jpeg

Welcome Alex, wish I could help with the ID of your anvil. It looks like a good one to me. We won't remember you are in the Netherlands once leaving this post, but if you put that in your profile we will see it with every post. I bet some of the members in your area will have more info on the anvil.

Hello; Coming from Belgium, I know the beginnings of Belgium and German anvils, but i know awfully little about Dutch anvils. I know they were a "thing" given the shipbuilding history; but I've never been confronted with one. Maybe Technicus Joey (youtube) knows something about this anvil ?

Can you test the anvil ? IE, how hard is it, how is the ring/ rebound ? does it have a steel top plate and a softer body ? Is it one-piece steel ?

VR really doesn't tell me anything, sorry.

• 6 months later...

Pedro

Between 330lbs and 390lbs. 

Bart W

Thanks for the imput Bart.

I asked Joey a while ago. He told me it is indeed a “Gronings” model. But no knowlege about the markings. I really can’t find anything anywhere about this great beast…

Irondragon

Thanks for the welcoming and the kind words and sorry for the late reply!

I updated my profile.

Looking forwards to spend some more time on this Forum!

Yeah I don't know if there is much information on dutch anvils specifically, I don't even know if there are any dutch patterns. you see a lot of german patterns around here though. Seeing our history it would be more logical they just traded for anvils instead of bothering to make their own. Especially since the Netherlands have no iron mines. 

~Jobtiel