I Forge Iron

Anvil Body Styles

I've seen the Beginners guide to anvils and all the brands that are currently still making anvils. Before I start looking at brand, I was wondering if there a shape guide. a 1:1 for almost ever style that is out there. I bought a cheap Amazon and the face is dented pretty badly after 1 use ( only think i directly hit it once.) like ive seen a nice 2 step down to the horn on one anvil so it went face plate > step down > another stepdown to anvil) I want to see if there are other unique designs that I would like more than the London Pattern Anvil. Thanks!

I have always known this style as a "farrier's anvil."  As I understand it a farrier uses the projection on the far side of the anvil face to work the clips on horse shoes.  BTW, I think horseshoe clips are the "cleats" that project downward from the shoe to give the horse more traction.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

As there is no one best style of anvil and  hundreds of variations have been made over the last 3000 years; what I would suggest is not looking at it as a once and done; but like buying a car that you expect you may want to change styles as your needs and wants change.  

Shoot when I was younger I was always wanting to buy bigger and bigger anvils; now in my 60's I sold off a 248# PW and I'd like to add another 100#'r or two as they are easy to take on the road when teaching.

I started out wanting to make blades, a rectangular solid improvised anvil would have suited me fine, or one of the english heavy waisted anvils like a Mousehole, now I do more ornamental and historical work and find the elongated american versions of the london pattern anvil nice to work with.

In my opinion: If your personal style tends towards fussiness; machining is a much better match for you than blacksmithing.