I Forge Iron

Can somebody give some advice on what to do with my anvil?

Hello everyone

I'm starting out blacksmithing and have an anvil from my wife's grandfather that I'm using. Seems like a part of the face came off and he tried to weld it back on. The rest of the face seems fine but is really rough.

Do you folks think it would be worth it to try and repair the anvil or should I just leave it alone and just do what I can with it. Also if anyone can identify anything about it and let me know I would appreciate it.

20210928_120111.jpg

20210928_120117.jpg

20210928_120126.jpg

20210928_120131.jpg

20210928_120144.jpg

Personally if I was gonna repair it I’d try to find a anvil repair day at a local club, 

looking at the pictures with all the cracks I’d think your gonna have your work cut out for you because it looks like the face is delaminated,  anything can be fixed if you want to spend enough money and time to fix it! 
but until you can repair it properly, my vote is to find something else to work on

I'm guessing that was rebranded for a hardware store to sell.  The face was forge welded on and sometimes in separate pieces.  Looks like yours has delaminated right over the sweet spot. The only ways to weld that back up would be to pop it off and do a full penetration weld; or pop it off and build up a new face.  Look up the Gunther/Schuler method of anvil repair for info on the proper way to do it.

Me I'd use it until the face falls off while keeping an eye open for one in better shape. Then drag it to an anvil repair day hosted by an ABANA affiliate!

Can you tell us what the underside of the base looks like---it might tell us which company made it originally!   (My guess is hourglass.)

Note: the weight is stamped in pounds and not CWT.

My plan was to keep using it as long as I could and try to find something else while I do that. I've looked at that welding method before but I'm not much of a welder if at all so I'm hesitant. 

As far as the underside of anvil. I'm not sure pretty sure it's been attached to that log as long as I've been alive. I'll look it over tomorrow though