I Forge Iron

What gas forge should i buy.

aarchas

hi im new to this so be kind. im Aaron im 17 and have been smithing for over a year now. i am looking to upgrade to a gas forge. i do mostly general iron work but have started bladesmithing and hope to get in to that. if anyone could tell me about good gas forge brands or models out there that will fit my needs i would greatly appreciate it.

If you search on "poor boy propane gas forge" on ebay, you'll find $200 forges. I "know" the maker from his posts on another forum and have heard good things about his products. He doesn't claim they're equal in quality to a commercial forge, but you're not likely to find cheaper unless you build you own (and maybe not even then).

Welcome to IFI,Aaron, from another Aaron!

IFI is a great place to learn. Do some searching, there has been several threads concerning gas forges posted here. Lot's of info for ya, just have to look a little further. Also, give us your location in the User CP area. There may be a few smiths close by that would let you come over and check out their gas forges, before you commit to any one particular model.

-aaron c.

Aaron, I use a Diamondback as well--- a 2 burner it's almost a year old now and is holding up very well. It will get hot enough for forge welding, and is very easy on propane(I can get about 12-14 hrs on a 20# tank running on 5-6 psi).

And welcome to IFI-- you won't find a better place on the net for all types of smithing or a finer bunch of folks.

ya i was looking at the diamondback forges on ebay they seemed really good for the price 2 Burner Blacksmith LP Propane Gas Forge - (eBay.ca item 280257359565 end time 24-Aug-08 12:32:45 EDT) does anyone know if this is a ggod deal. also i saw the chili forges last year a QUAD state in ohio. they are reasonably priced also. i am going to get one that is hot enough for forge welding since i doint want to have to buy a knew forge in a few years when im more skilled. thanks for the help so far, i was suprised how quick your responses were.

I bought a two-burner from HM Ironworks. He, Jim Wahl, is on ebay too. Several folks here have Diamondbacks- I may be the only HM user here. And I am new to gas forges.
The 2 burner I got, with 2" 2600* insulboard of one brand or another is well made, lining closely fitted; the burners are a good, simple and proven design. It hits welding temp quickly and even quicker since I added ITC 100. Mine was $300 plus shipping, but the model I got is now $325 plus shipping.

I should make one thing quite clear- Diamondback makes good forges- from considerable study, I came to the conclusion that they are equal. The "poorboy" stuff is very basic and works-he makes it clear that he cannot guarantee forgewelding.He is great at using simple things to make smithing stuff that may be ugly, but, works-and he is right up front about it.

If you have been smithing for a year, then I would want to know if you have learned to weld. If you can weld and braze, with that year under your belt, you could probably build a good forge. There are step by step plans all over the net and some in the blueprints here. Glenn is working on getting all of them up and usable. If you think you might want to build, I suggest that you look at Ellis' forges. I think he has one of the cleanest designs with some very good thinking in them. They are expensive, so I make the suggestion only because just looking at his design will give you some valuable ideas. Best regards,mike

I think you have to purchase the type that fits your projects. The one you're looking at on ebay has both end opening as well as a side opening. I have a Chile Forge Tobasco and have done forge welding in it with no trouble BUT it's not good for large pieces being that the design is more for long pieces like blades. That's where a side opening comes in handy. So, end openings or side opening or both is one question you need to ask yourself. I love my Tobasca but there are times I wish I had the long side door too.....

i think im going to pick up the dimondback forge. i looked at the HM forges to but i like the fact that the diamondback has the end openings and a openable side. also i looked in to making my own forge because i can weld but i am just going to buy a proffesionally made one instead. once again thanks for all the help guys. also does anyone know what temperature the diamond back forge gets up to. i know you can forge weld but what is the forges acual temp.

Edited by aarchas

Greetings Aarchas from Hamilton Ontario,

Good luck with your bid on that diamondback.

I wanted to share with you one other option - last month I got to try a homebuilt forge made by one of this forum's members, Solvarr. He made his forge out of a surplus SAW ammo can. No welding was involved and he ended up with a single burner propane forge that had a pass through for large pieces and could reach welding heats (I know because I was taking a forge welding class with Solvarr at the time). The best part is that Solvarr said he made his forge for under $150.00 - that's less than half of nearly anything else I've seen on the web or ebay.

This forge was sweet. Powerful enough for nearly any job, but really lightweight and portable. I'm looking into making one myself and both of my students want to also.

BTW, the one I used in that class had been used for over 2 years as a general production forge and still looked to be in good shape.

If you want more info, you can find the thread under "Ammo Can" in the Blacksmithin' section and pictures in the Blueprints section.

Welcome to IFI - you're gonna like it here.
Keep hammerin'

Aeneas

• 4 months later...
I bought a two-burner from HM Ironworks. He, Jim Wahl, is on ebay too. Several folks here have Diamondbacks- I may be the only HM user here. And I am new to gas forges.
The 2 burner I got, with 2" 2600* insulboard of one brand or another is well made, lining closely fitted; the burners are a good, simple and proven design. It hits welding temp quickly and even quicker since I added ITC 100. Mine was $300 plus shipping, but the model I got is now $325 plus shipping.

I should make one thing quite clear- Diamondback makes good forges- from considerable study, I came to the conclusion that they are equal.

Out of curiosity, what makes them "equal"?
The other guy's unmachined burners?
The turkey fryer orifices?
The cheap import no name regulators?
The hit or miss fit and finish?
Or, depending on the model...
The exposed shell at the end openings (no insulation)?
The uninsulated doors?
Just what makes them equal?

Considerable study? Please share your conclusions...

We don't use the same backyard hack and weld fabrication techniques here. Our burner assemblies are machined in-house, we out-source our CNC Plasma work and all of our components are professionally fabricated and welded.

I hate to even sell on ebay, because of the comparisons that seem to always get drawn between the HM stuff and ours. This (HM) is the same guy who claimed for years that Dense (hard) Firebrick was a better performing insulator for forges than blanket or ceramic board, but when his sales started slipping after we began selling on ebay, he began using the ceraboard... Now he is claiming his firebrick isn't even firebrick... It's "Dense high silicanized Ladle Brick" (sic) or in his firebrick forge auctions "The liner is hard ceramic, the same liner the large steel mills use to line their steel furnaces. ( This is not fire brick) These liners outlast and outperform wool liners.". Anything for a buck! The truth is, the material Steel Mills use to line "hardfacing" their vessels is, you guessed it, Dense Firebrick. It may outlast a Kaowool liner, but out perform? Not on this planet.

• 1 month later...
If you search on "poor boy propane gas forge" on ebay, you'll find $200 forges. I "know" the maker from his posts on another forum and have heard good things about his products. He doesn't claim they're equal in quality to a commercial forge, but you're not likely to find cheaper unless you build you own (and maybe not even then).

I'm actually using one of his forges. I bought the dual-orifice one (the back is plugged with a firebrick when not needed) and so far so good. As said, he's clear that it's not professional-quality, but so far I've got no complaints, and have managed to forge-weld with it (only once so far...).

Price was a factor for me, so $220 was perfect. There will no doubt come a time when I'll want to upgrade to one like what Diamondback makes (which look really slick, I have to say!), but for a beginning hobbiest, the Poor Boy forge does the trick.

Diamondback, I tried all day Friday to contact you because I had questions, I left phone messages on your cell and at home. I sent you an email. No response to any of my efforts to contact you. You may have a fine product but your customer service needs work. Please contact me at one of the numbers I left on your phone or by email. R K Nichols

Edited by Quenchcrack