I Forge Iron

Trying to identify drafting(?) tools

These three pieces were tucked inside a box of layout and machinist’s tools I just picked up. They are just under two inches long, have three different outside diameters, and have a little plunger that moves the insides up and down by about 1/8”. Any clues?

7384AAAB-807E-4BC2-B692-045F241FC2DF.jpeg

BC0A4EAF-258A-414B-BE7F-291F917749DC.jpeg

I took more drafting classes than I ever needed and have never seen a drafting tool like those. Are the holes the same dia?

This is a WAG but I'd think maybe a tool for installing a contact point tool, like pen, knife, ink jet, Vymulis nozzle, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm going to semi-agree with Frosty (which makes my speculation a SWAG).  I would guess that some sort of tip with a sliding point would fit in the slotted end and the pressure or a blow on the plunger would make a make on material, possible drafting linen or other drafting medium.  Sort of similar in use to a center punch at the forge.  This is not admissible evidence, though, it is "mere speculation."

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I think there are some missing pieces and those are auto punches. The thing on the back will adjust the spring (missing) tension to get the carbide tip (also missing) to make a deeper or shallower punch mark. They look very similar to the set our tool maker has at work.