I Forge Iron

Canister Damascus in Devil Forge

Vince Price

I've searched and can't find specifically what I'd like to know. So... Is there anyone here who has a two or three burner Devil Forge that is using it to make (Pattern Welded steel) Damascus or Canister Damascus?

I built my own forge a few years back, it's a single burner forced air propane forge. It gets forge welding hot but I don't get the coverage area I'd like and it takes it quite awhile to come up to temp. I've never used a commercially made forge. I'd like to go for the Majestic 3 Burner but it's out of my range now. I have so many people asking for Damascus that I need to do something now. Its also fairly prohibitive to buy Damascus billets to forge out. 

How is your forge lined and what does, "quite a while to come up to temp," mean in minutes? 

A gun burner is easy to split the air supply in two and make it a 2 burner forge. A little plumbing, some fittings a couple 1/4 turn ball valves, split the propane, etc. Drill and tap a hole maybe two. It's pretty easy. 

Then again I've seen plenty of single nozzle gun burner forges develop even welding heat over pretty large pieces. IF they're well built. 

We'll be happy to help but we need some basic information. How about some construction details, materials you used and a couple pics. One just after you light it and one when it's up to temp. No videos please, they do not convey much information.

Frosty The Lucky.

I’m very new to the whole scene. I want something that’s good quality without spending a $1000 I’d like to stick to about a $500 dollar forge that’s capable of forge welding in the future. Best suggestions?

Excellent idea Mickey, probably better than adding a second burner.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:01 PM, Flyboy said:

Best suggestions?

Build your own forge.

It will help with your question, if we knew where in the world you are located, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show general location.

If you wish to have a quality forge that will weld billets for under $500 you need to build your own. If you're any good at scrounging a charcoal fired JABOD can be made for some sweat. 

The forum has lots of posts regarding building solid fuel and propane forges, each has it's own section with multiple sub-sections. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Do I think there is a better forge for commercial work than than the largest Chile forge? Yup; a properly built ribbon burner forge will get almost as hot for a whole lot smaller fuel bill, and should cost about one-six the money, plus sweat equity. Do I believe this is true across the board size wise? Nope; ribbon burners will always be most efficient in larger equipment.