I Forge Iron

Modifying Wolf Jaws

SinDoc

Currently the only pair of tongs I own are a pair of Picard's Wolf Jaw tongs I purchased off Amazon. They work well for the most part, but have problems holding onto flat stock unless I squeeze the crap out of them (I need to make a pair of tong clips). Is there any modifying I can do to the jaws to give them a better grip? I thought about grinding into them and making the "teeth" more pronounced, but wanted to see if that would work before I go hogging material off of them. Anyone have some ideas and/or happen to own the same pair I do?

I REALLY need to make myself more tongs rather than trying to use one pair for everything. 

If you have to squeeze really hard to give the tongs a better grip, you're using the wrong tongs. Wolf jaws are quite versatile, but they're definitely not a universal, one-size-fits-all tong. 

For flat stock (I assume you mean flat bar as opposed to flat sheet?), think box tongs, slot jaw tongs, bladesmith's tongs, or double box tongs, properly sized to the stock. Flat jaw tongs are fine if you're primarily working on the flat side. I have a pair of side tongs I made after seeing Aislinn Lewis from Colonial Williamsburg use a pair while working 1/4" x 1" flat bar for a sign bracket she and Mark Sperry made at Quad-State 2019, and they have served me very well.

D8163FD9-CE45-4A84-81DC-89BACD878DAD.jpeg

Yeah flat bar (one day Ill get my terminology right). Wasn't sure if making the grip more refined on the jaws would help or not. I really do need to get/make another set or two of tongs as I mostly work with flat bars and 5/8 rounds. I have been watching several videos on how to make tongs. I recently watched one from Blackbear Forge that I believe I seen you just posted in another thread, but I have not yet built up the confidence to try making a set.

Whatever difference texturing the jaws might make will be marginal compared to the correct tool for the job. It's best to have several pairs around.. Honestly, IMO you can never have too many pairs :lol:. Your first few sets will probably be a little ugly -- I know mine were -- but it's a good learning experience and like anything the more you make the better they'll be.

*There are also tong blanks available that still allow you to do some forging, but 90% of the work is already done for you. Therefore the final product will be more uniform and you'll have a useful pair of tongs much faster than making them from scratch.

*jinx

Edited by Frazer

I have several pieces of 3-4' long 5/8 round stock (welding rod?) that my father gave me that he had bought from Lowes awhile back and didnt end up using that I wanted to try making the tongs from once the confidence and motivation show up. I am planning on attending Quad-State and hopefully can snag a few goodies (and see Thomas' fabled hat).

Yes that lol. I have been using it mostly to make hooks and little things from but thought I could probably make tongs from them, although I wasn't 100% positive if 5/8 would be enough material or if I would need 3/4.

5/8" round is about as small as I'll go for tongs, but whether there will be enough material or not really depends on what kind of tong you're making andthe size of the material you're trying to hold. 3/4" sq is what I tend to use most often, but drawing out the reins from 3/4" is a lot of hammering. After doing that several times it really incentivises learning the drop the tongs weld, but baby steps. It can probably be done much faster with a striker.

Daniel Moss of Trust Me, I'm A Blacksmith has a very good video about making bladesmith's tongs. He starts with 16mm/5/8" square; this is just a little bigger than your 5/8" round, so you should be fine (especially if you upset the area for the bosses a little first).

Two thoughts: First, if you texture the bits of your tongs make sure it's a texture you WANT on your work, you're going to be squeezing it into your HOT steel.

Second, there's only one way to build confidence and that's at your anvil. Confidence comes with skills and you can't become skilled without doing. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

properly sized to the stock.

This is one of the most important steps when using tongs. Most who are new to the craft don't realize that. Bob Patrick taught me how to do that and it's really simple. Heat the jaws, grip the stock and set the jaws to hold it the full length of the jaws. 

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: If I'm working on anything that needs much working on the edges (such as forging a tang), I'll usually go with a different pair of tongs. If it's just a little bit of edge work (such as neatening up the sides of a chisel-point taper), they're okay. I don't generally use them for bladesmithing. For that, I have a couple of pairs of bladesmith's tongs such as in the Daniel Moss video above.