I Forge Iron

Atlas power hammer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well things did get around a bit, I have bought two broad arrow marked straight peen sledges down near the US/Mexican border; one stamped 1944 Birkinshaw and the other 198?. I also found a crate of broad arrow boilermakers' hammers at a contractors supply in Columbus OH.

There is alot of equipment from german war reparations here, and alot of American stuff from ww2 as they had alot of bases and factorys in ww2, my oxygen cylinders are stamped war department 1942 and I can still see the green paint under the black

On 5/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, onetreeforge said:

I need to run a heavy cable to the shed as its pulling 27 amps thrugh an extension cord and some inadequate wiring in another shed, its making the lights pulse. Should work a lot better with full power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYdy9gVcSY&t=4s

That's running absolutely sweet as a sweet thing. An awful lot of guys would have given up on the sow block. Chuffing good effort on getting a new one made. I hope the hammer starts paying for itself now. 

I'm surprised how pleased I am to see you got it running. Well done mate. 

Need to get cracking on my one now. 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, onetreeforge said:

A 60 LB Atlas hammer has shown up in scotland witch means Atlas hammers are probably not made in NZ even tho they look just like the Anderson hammer and the Judson hammer.

I'm in Scotland. Must have missed that one but a friend of mine has an Atlas 60lb hammer down in the south of England. Decent hammer, very similar to the Samuel Platt 60lb Goliath and the 160lb Hercules. There's also an "Airedale" hammer which has a near identical body casting but a very different style of linkage. IT's on UK ebay at the minute. 

The main body of all of these hammers is so similar you could argue they were all made in the same factory and the different manufactures just added their own parts. 

All the best 

Andy