I Forge Iron

Atlas power hammer

Funny thing, I have met quite a few folks who told me that old tools were better made than modern ones, never realizing that they had high to low grade tools 100+ years ago too; but the low grade ones didn't survive to reach modern times...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting one new bottom sowplate key made and I had a chemical analysis done on top block witch turns out its mild steel, took that to to heat treatments to get some carbon put into the face, It has lasted a very long time not being hard, this might help it but it might not, I can always get a new block made.

20220430_165853.jpg

So cast iron hammers made 100 years+ ago were better than the cast iron hammers made today?  I've actually found a couple of old cast iron hammers, several were ball peens and one was a cobbler's hammer. I know they were cast iron when I tried forging them as they were in rough shape.

In Archeology it's known as "An artifact of preservation" , example: in northern Europe  you don't find many cellulose fiber textile remains in digs as the acidic soils destroy them.  However you find tools for working them, documentation on people farming and processing, mention in sagas, law records, etc., of their use.

Sears Roebuck catalog's from the 1900's used to sell them as their cheapest version; their top of the line tools were quite good.  For example they did sell a cast iron anvil as well as one made by Hey Budden.

Back in the good old days; predatory selling was a major issue---that is why laws about "fit for service" were enacted. (For some stomach churning examples read up about food safety back in the 19th century...)

Haha wish they still had fit for service rules for selling tools now, actually they did have a recall on some cheep axle stands that were sold that had cast iron parts that could snap off, my car has a superbell malleable iron front axle, magnum axles are now banned here because they all were braking  

Nah, there have been dishonest and gullible people since we picked nits off each other and still speaking in grunts and snorts. 

Funny thing is how brick and mortar stores are fading out for online sales. I'll bet there's the online sears catalogue gets more use than the stores. I think the Sears store in Anchorage is still open maybe not. The real down side of online buying is you can't hang the old catalogue in the outhouse. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I am trying to get some lathe parts at the moment from the USA, the shipping is no problem but its expensive, a friend has offered to get it sent to her folks in Texas and they post them to her with the next parcel to NZ 

Yes 27 amps before the VFD step up to 400v. I am going to have a 40 amp breaker installed right at the power meter and run the biggest possible cable 57 meters through the bush to the shed. 

everything is 230/240 volts

Just hang on till fall our side of the planet, he'll shed again.

Forecasts say we're headed for the high 60s for the next week or so! Day before yesterday was our first official 60 degree day as recorded in Anchorage, here in Wasilla we've hit 60 a couple few times already. Anyway I haven't worn anything but maybe a light sweatshirt if I'm going to one of the markets in high wind areas. 

Were I wearing a jacket at 50f I wouldn't end up in a hospital but the jacket would probably forget where I hung the jacket next time I needed one.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I got the bar to welding temperature just for the photos lol. Its cold here but I wear overalls all year round, I want to get some bib overalls for summer,

My friends Tom and Harley will be in the next issue of the shed