I Forge Iron

Atlas power hammer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has cast iron insert bearings and a 2.5" shaft. I am going to get the shaft remade and fitted and someone from the shop will need to come to my place with a box hone to do the bearings. 

I might of lured a tool maker to my place to give it a check over some time soon and he can tell me what needs to be done.

I believe if its set up right it will make my life more easy.

Got new springs made and welded up and re drilled the holes for the pivot pins. I remade that spring retainer rod but cut it too short for the lock nuts so I had to re do that. 

20211013_110008.jpg

IMG_20220119_160915_132.jpg

When I was positioning my PH I placed it right under one of the steel trusses holding the shop roof up just to be able to use a come-a-long to lift parts in place.  I'm glad it was your eye and not your teeth though.  Going to call your hammer Ralph?  (ref The Honeymooners "bang...zoom...right to the moon!)

I have found out the power hammers pack quite a punch.:) Both when you are hammering steel or when the hammer is punching you. I have the same routine when I have to change my belt on the Star hammer, break apart the crankshaft and have my wife there as a spotter (just in case).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The hammer has been set up for some kind of tooling, I suspect the sow plate has been lowered, the dovetail in the sow plate is damaged and beyond repair. Its actually worse than it looks, thats compacted scale and oil making it look solid, it just crumbles away, I am going to see about getting a new one made, is there a chart for dovetail sizes ? Would be good to give the info the shop doing the work, 

20220319_113649.jpg

20220319_113658.jpg

20220319_113539.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a new sowplate made in 1045 steel, I am getting it made 2" higher, also had to grind the top block flat on its face and I am making a new dovtail key as it had some hand forged rubbish.

The new sow plate is costing over 3/4 of what I payed for the hammer

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 3:07 AM, onetreeforge said:

Getting a new sowplate made in 1045 steel, I am getting it made 2" higher, also had to grind the top block flat on its face and I am making a new dovtail key as it had some hand forged rubbish.

The new sow plate is costing over 3/4 of what I payed for the hammer

Oh man that's rough. Best of luck with the restoration though, it looks good so far. 

All the best 

Andy 

• 2 weeks later...