I Forge Iron

Stethoscope bottle opener idea help

Bantou

I’m wanting to make a stethoscope shaped bottle opener to thank my doctor for access to his substantial pile of old red bricks. After mulling it over for a few days, this is my idea:

Take a chunk of either 3/8 or half 1/2 round stock; square up one end and split; bend split ends to form a “T”; slightly draw out and round each side, leaving about 1/4” on each end larger for the “ear pieces”; bend splits back to desired shape using vise and horn to form the “head set”; slightly taper the other end, leaving 1/2-3/8” the original size on the end to form the “chest piece”; flatten and round out the “chest piece”; bend the “tubing” into a figure 8 with the top loop being ~1” in diameter and the “chest piece” sitting next to the start of the split; punch a tab where the figure 8 crosses itself; solder the cross together for added stability. 

You’ll have to forgive my drawings, art was never one of my better classes.1F56BC3E-CA3C-4076-B2FF-183E85987885.thumb.jpeg.50eefd9a89d3f89e542135b3edad5a73.jpeg

The length of each section is still TBD. I need to do more research into calculating stock length before I have a good estimate. 

I believe a version of that would work though I don't know how well it identifies itself as a stethoscope. 

When you first mentioned the idea the thought that came to my mind is. A thin round piece of steel with a rim sort of like a bottle cap, the rim having a rolled edge. Rolled inwards first to catch a bottle cap and secondly so it isn't a sharp edge that might cut someone.

Now to make it a stethoscope. Forge a Y of a diameter surgical tubing will slip over. Form a smaller diameter tenon on the leg and shoulder the transition to the original diameter.

Now drill or punch a hole in the center of the chest piece, insert the tenon trimmed to approximately 1 1/2 x it's diameter extends through and pein it flat.

Then make a simple loop of surgical tubing so a person can wear it around their neck and you have a hand forged stethoscope bottle opener. 

The real trick will be making the chest piece and tenon connection strong enough it won't work loose in use.

Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Probably because nobody's ever made him a Custom, Hand Forged, piece of Wearable Art before! Yeah, definitely hit some second hand stores for a stethoscope for parts. Maybe implant blue tooth speakers in the ear pieces. Hmmm? Oh neck put the chip reader in the chest piece and preload something medical say a proctology text with sound effects. And PLEASE feel free to tell him Frosty the curmudgeonly old fart suggested it.:D

I've contemplated making my endocrinologist a forged pancreas though cast bronze would be nice. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Don’t fret about it. Most of the MD’s and DO’s I have known don’t get to hung up on their titles. Outside of work or when not acting in an official capacity they will usually just give their name when saying who they are. The only doctors who seem to care about their titles are PhD’s in my experience.

Cardiologist, endocrinologist, Internist, orthopedist, and gastroenterologist are those I see every few months. Pathologist daily because of my work and every other year because of a visit to the gastroenterologist.  The good Lord willing, I will never need to add urologist to the list.   

Better a urologist than a proctologist in my opinion!  I find it funny that my health plan charges me more to see my endocrinologist than my primary care physician.  If I don't go to the endocrinologist I may end up in the hospital where the primary care Doc is a much cheaper "miss".  At least they decided that making sure I take all my Diabetes meds by making them free is much cheaper for them in the long run!