I Forge Iron

What should I concentrate on first when laying down a bead?

14 hours ago, Glenn said:

Congratulations on your 1A, 1G, and 1F certifications.  What is not to like about you working toward and achieving a certification?

Thanks Glenn. Looking forward to the knowledge that you can hopefully give in the future.

I am quite new to welding and have no claim to any degree of expertise, but am I correct in saying that the reason for keeping rods in the oven (7018 and others) is less about how easy they are to weld and more about avoiding hydrogen embrittlement? 

• 6 months later...

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the use of two hands, especially when the rod is long.  All the pipe welders, and boilermakers that I know use two hands on the stinger.  A single hand is not very steady, resulting in myriad troubles, from starting/sticking, to erratic arc, and crooked lines.   6011/6010 requires a bit more current than does 7014/7018.  And the 60 series do splatter more.  But good old 6011 is the farmers go to rod, deep penetration, even on rusty metal.   But no matter the rod used, clean metal always welds better.    Do you have any pics of your recent welds?

• 4 months later...

I'm a firm believer in using 2 hands.  Whether it's mig or stick, 2 hands will give you much better control.  For stick, if the rod is long enough, I use one hand for the stinger, and use the other hand to hold the rod.  Sometimes I don't hold it, but merely support it with my fingers.