I Forge Iron

American Wrought

If the rebound is good, and it sounds good (no sudden differences in tone tapping horn to horn); then it isn't much of a problem.

Wrought iron bodied anvils usually have visible weld seams; and it wasn't uncommon to break one and weld it back together ...

If you can use; than it's OK.

More pictures will also be needed to try and determine condition. American wrought anvils were made by Hay Budden for Montgomery Ward. There may be a serial number on the front foot under the horn. The 137 should be the weight in US pounds, so there seems to be some discrepancy in the weight you stated.

Instead of such close up pictures a shot of the full anvil both sides, the full top and the underside of the base is what's needed. Also results of the ring & rebound test to tell if it's been in a shop fire and where in the world you are located, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show general location.

If you take a small hammer and tap the steel hardened face all over to see it it rings clear, that will tell if the forge welded on steel face is intact. If the ring sound changes a lot from front to back or you hear any buzzing sound, that means the face has become de-laminated and the anvil is probably only worth scrap prices, not an anvil that will be good to forge on.  The rebound is checked with a steel ball bearing about a half inch diameter. Drop it with a ruler to use as a gauge from the 10 inch mark and see how far the ball returns. that will give a percentage of rebound 8 inches will be excellent 80% anything below 6-7 inches will be poor and indicate the face plate has been heated and lost it's hardness most likely due to a fire. 

The anvil looks to be in very good condition and in your area good anvils go anywhere from $2.00 or $3.00 per pound maybe more.

I dunno- that crack really concerns me. That anvil is a 2 part construction- base and body welded at the waist, with the steel top added on. The waist as well as the face plate weld look good to me. The crack we're seeing seems to be a major delamination of the wrought iron body. Should be fixable with electric welding and a deep 'v' groove, but that is above my pay scale.

Steve