I Forge Iron

How do you hang your gas torch?

Luke Rieman

I've recently bought a type 5 oxy propane torch setup and I have an economiser on the way. One thing I've realised is that with the single-flame brazing tips I have for heating, there won't be any part of the tip that will catch on the economiser hook and allow me to hang it securely. I've seen a lot of US guys on youtube with what looks like a little mini-hook on a hose clamp, but I can't find them anywhere or even any reference to them. Also, my shank isn't the nice all-brass type with a round cross-section, so I don't even know if one would fit on mine. What am I missing here? Surely everyone needs to hang their torch at some point?0003768_type-5-shank.jpeg

Will the arm your economiser fit between the hose connections on the handle? If you let the hoses drape they'll keep the torch upright. If not, blacksmiths can do wonders with a little mechanic's wire and a pair of pliers. ;)

What brand oxy prop torch did you buy Tristan? Does it have the thumb on/off valve on the handle? 

Frosty The Lucky.

The economiser arrived last night (strangely, I was checking the tracking at 10pm last night to see if it was due for delivery today, and saw it was already marked delivered 8pm. Went outside and it was sitting on the doorstep in the rain. Weird :D). The hook has more of a groove to it than I thought so it might work, I'll go finish up the stand in a minute.

I did think about running a wire around the base of the heating attachment, but I don't know how comfortable I feel about that. If the torch twisted, that connection is only finger tight and it doesn't seem totally implausible that the hook could loosen it. Doubly worse with a pilot light right next to it. I might use a cable tie between the O2 and fuel valves as there is a bit of a recess for it to sit in.

I'm loving the propane heating tips I bought! #1P is such a beautiful, teeny, precise flame, I love it! And the #25P worked great for bending 12mm round yesterday.

You'll notice if the tip loosens on the handle, it'll wobble. A leak can't ignite hanging on the stand, the valve is off. I applaud you being cautious, propane leaks are dangerous, almost as dangerous as oxygen leaks. 

I LOVE my oxy propane rig it out performs any oxy accet rig I've ever used for about 3% the cost. It just doesn't weld steel worth spit. Good thing I have a couple arc welders to do that with. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Luke,

This is what I use. I made it out of brass sheet metal. I have made many clamps this style out of steel also, for antique motorcycles. The hook on the brass one I use with my OA torch is soldered on under the clamp. 

Hope this helps,

Steven

GS hook 2.jpeg

GS hook 3.jpeg

On 2/16/2021 at 2:50 PM, Frosty said:

What brand oxy prop torch did you buy Tristan? Does it have the thumb on/off valve on the handle?

Jerry, regular 2 pc Victor cutting torch. I wanted to get "welding" tips for it as it is clunky to braze with the cutting head and way to hot for small stuff. They make one for oxy propane that replaces the cutting head and lets you use different size tips. It is expensive though. I did just learn that they make propane tips for my Meco Midget (which totally rocks btw) I am very excited to get the tips soon. It would let you control the gas with one hand as the valves are above the handle.  

I sure like Steve's hook, seems like a perfect solution to me.