I Forge Iron

Brass scraps

J.A

i need some small scraps of brass for some knife handles and other projects, but I really can't think of where to start looking.
All the scrapyards here only resell steel. Should i try asking general engineering workshops or would i just be wasting my time.
Where does everyone else get there non-ferrous metals from.

Have you got any friends or relations that work in power distribution (linemen, etc.)?

A lot of the old high-voltage switches and other components are good sources for big pieces of brass.

This is definitely one of those situations where you need to know the right people. You would be suprised what gets scrapped, but at todays prices, they ain't gonna let dumpster-divers into their brass / copper bins.

Don

You could try Budget Casting Supply. They sell several different alloys of brass, aluminum, bronze, and zinc. Their prices look pretty competitive and I've heard that their customer service is really good. I haven't personally ordered anything from them, so I can't vouch for that. Here's the addy for ingot page:

Foundry Casting Metals

I can't get it to work as a hyperlink, sorry. Just copy and paste. Hope that helps.

Mickey

Folks: note the location: Christchurch, New Zealand I think a lot of the US places won't ship that far.

The *types* of places might be more usefull: small machine shops may have scrap brass they will sell you---especially if you take the time to talk about knifemaking with them.

Also places that tear down buildings may have a collection of scrap brass they will be selling to the scrap yard.

Finding a non-ferrous scrapper would be nice; you might check under recycling, recyclers.

Do you have garage sales / car boot sales?
!/2" by 1", what about trying the sliding part of an old mortice lock?

Or, Old brass candlesticks and ornaments, old beer pumps, old gas cylinder valves, old electric plugs have brass pins, melt and cast, brass scales, old shell casings, old door handles, finger plates loads of stuff is made from brass, but it may not look bright and yellow, scratch the surfaces, use a magnet.

Good hunting.

Have you got any friends or relations that work in power distribution (linemen, etc.)?

A lot of the old high-voltage switches and other components are good sources for big pieces of brass.

This is definitely one of those situations where you need to know the right people. You would be suprised what gets scrapped, but at todays prices, they ain't gonna let dumpster-divers into their brass / copper bins.

Don

Be VERY careful with the brass looking alloy used in electrical applications, there's a really good chance it's beryllium copper and quite toxic. Smoke or dust is insidious, very toxic and without treatment or cure.

I'd collect and melt plumbing fixtures forever before messing with brass looking elec fittings.

Frosty

Be VERY careful with the brass looking alloy used in electrical applications, there's a really good chance it's beryllium copper and quite toxic. Smoke or dust is insidious, very toxic and without treatment or cure.

I'd collect and melt plumbing fixtures forever before messing with brass looking elec fittings.

Frosty

lol frosty thanks for the safty harp!!!

I tried to post this last night but lost power.

If you are working casting brass please remember brass includes zinc which is potentially deadly!

There is anotehr site which has an article about the death of an old and experienced smith who was killed by zinc fumes. So maximum ventilation please, forced air extraction type fume hood where you are working. You CANNOT be too careful with zinc.

Zinc is actually necessary to maintain life and not nearly as deadly as most people seem to think. There's no need to run if some burns off.

Paw Paw Wilson died from a severe overdose, he was deliberately burning the galvy off pipe in his gas forge, INSIDE his shop. The doors were open but it was pretty reckless of his personal safety. Especially with his existing medical conditions, COPD for one.

He knew it was dangerous, he chased everyone else out but remained himself.

Even so it took quite a while to take his life, if he'd sought medical care immediately or even a day or so later he could well still be with us.

One of the mechanism's zinc oxide damages a person with is the shape of the smoke particles, they're sharp little barbed hooks that don't come out of your lungs without dissolving. Another damaging characteristic is the acidic(IIRC) compounds it makes as it dissolves.

What a person dies of from breathing large amounts of zinc oxide smoke is a type of pneumonia. You drown in your own juices over the next week or so. In addition there's the chemical imbalance caused to your system by the zinc oxide dissolving. Both of these conditions can be treated, IF YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR.

So, you don't have to purge your stock pile of galvy and you don't have to rush to the emergency room if you get a wiff. There's nothing wrong with doing so if you wish, it's just not really necessary.

What you do have to do is use common sense and stay out of the smoke as much as possible, drink plenty of milk before, during and after exposure to zinc smoke and seek medical help if symptoms last more than a couple days. Milk causes your system to secrete mucous, in your mouth, throat and lungs which will help shield you from the smoke and help flush it from your lungs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's good for you. You most certainly should minimize your exposure. But it's NOT a heavy metal, it's NOT actually toxic and it's NOT something to get too excited over.

If you want something to get excited about read up on what cadmium (common plating on modern hardware) or beryllium does to you. There are others you're going to come in contact with but you'll terrify yourselves out of ever heating a piece of metal again if you read up on all of them.

Toxicity like pollution is NOT a matter of WHAT it is, it's a matter of HOW MUCH you're exposed to. There are only a very few elements or compounds that are toxic in any quantity.

I've been welding galvy for several decades and have suffered no ill effects outside of the occasional case of the blue flu. Zinc smoke is bluish white and the blue flu or Monday flu are a couple names given the short term symptoms by people in the industry.

Frosty

Remember that sensitivity varies between people too; what may not even give you the shakes may put someone else in the hospital.

I had a smithing student I warned about zinc and young and healthy as he was he ended up putting himself in the hospital on his *first* exposure.

I don't need galvanized in the scrap pile and so won't be tempted to make an exception; I got too many strikes against me as it is.

Right you are, on both counts.

Though I don't know anyone that sensitive to zinc smoke I have no doubt there are plenty out there. I really must remember to include that caveat.

There's also no good reason to take chances you don't need to. This and many endeavors are risky enough if you cover all your bases.

Frosty