I Forge Iron

New Member from Illinois

Gryphon Forge

Hello everyone!  New member here from Illinois.  More specifically Oswego (near Aurora). I started metal working on the opposite end of the spectrum as a goldsmith and laser welder. Blacksmithing is a much more recent thing for me but at least I have a leg up. I’m hoping to add some gold inlay work to my forged items in the near future once I get enough stock to start selling. If anyone has a source of steel in the area, please let me know. 

Anyway, it is nice to have this resource and I look forward to interacting with many of you in the future. 

What kind of steel?  Are we talking D2 or A-36?  They probably would be sourced in different places!  Also how much of it?  A couple of pounds of drops will generally be sourced from a different place than 3 tons. The devil is in the details so please provide enough information to make good suggestions!

Yeah, I hear all these people talk about how steel is cheap and this or that is a dollar worth of steel or something. I’m looking at this going what the heck is wrong with my area. 
I am taking a trip to LasCruses NM this summer to visit my fiancé’s family for a month. Might try to stock up before we leave if I can find a supplier cheaper there.

If you need some stock let me know, happy to help.  I have 1/4x3/4" flat, 1/4x1" flat, round in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1", square in 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" (All 1018).  I also have a few short pieces of 3/4" S7 and 4140.

I don't know if you're looking for full 20' sticks but I have quite a few 4' sections of bar stock if you are in need.

Edited by KexelWerkstatt
Typo's mostly.

Welcome aboard Gryph, glad to have you. Have you looked in the phone book for a steel supply? Not the internet the phone book so you don't have to wade through all the, "You MIGHT be interested in . . . " crap. If the first outfit you talk to doesn't sell steel, they will know who does.

What do you have in mind making? 3/16" x 1/2" strikes me as an odd size stock but I don't know what you have in mind for it. I'm not criticizing or suggesting something else, I'm just curious.

I'm a curious sort of guy.;) 

Frosty The Lucky.

4’ section would be great because they will fit easily in my pos PT Cruiser lol. If I could buy a section each of 3/8 and 1/2 square that should get me started until I can figure out what my best option will be. Much appreciated!

Just to give y’all an idea of what I have been dealing with, this is the most recent quote that was sent to me by a local supplier.

your bill of sale has been removed

Happy to help get you started.  I can do a 4' section of each no problem, at cost.  Call it $15.00 each section or $30 total.  Again I got it at Metal Supermarkets in Bolingbrook which is not cheap, it was just close by and easy.  Also, it's cold rolled 1018 and not hot rolled A36, so that made it cost more, and, I had them cut it for me as well.  If that's more than you want to spend I understand.  FYI I have searched a bit and there does not appear to be very reasonably priced steel in the immediate area.

If you'd still like it just send me a message.  If not, no harm/no foul, I know the price is a bit high.

They had my round bar in hot rolled, but only had my square bar in cold rolled.  So, I took what they had so I could get to work.  Fortunately I was only buying a few 4' sections, and not 20' sticks.  Material definitely cost me more this first time around than I plan on it costing me next time!