I Forge Iron

Serrated edge?

jason0012

In a recent conversation I was asked about serrated edges. I own only one knife with serrations, a Shun bread knife. I generally try to steer clear of them since I have no great idea how to set up/sharpen such an edge. Does anyone here have good tricks for a serrated edge? My only idea is to do a profile dressing to a hard wheel, and honing I am just at a loss. I will admit, I have not experimented with this.

There is good reason I avoided them. I never felt it was even possible to get a decent edge on such a blade. I was thinking of the scalloped sort of edge some chefs knives are inflicted with. Like it or not I actually have one and it baffles me how one would touch up the edge on such a knife, not that it is really important.

You don't serrate both bevels, sharpening only takes place on the other.

Be honest, tell the person inquiring you don't make serrated blades. No need to explain or worse still justify your decision. "Sorry, I don't make serrated blades." 

It will make your work more exclusive if you're choosy about what you WILL make. Whatever you do do NOT talk down about serrated, scalloped or other toothy type blades, it lacks class. Worse you'll sound desperate to sell something. What's going to happen if you tell someone you can't sharpen a serrated edge and they discover how easy it really is? 

Sure this one person might go elsewhere but that's to your benefit. There's a term for folk who win every bid. Bankrupt. 

Just be honest, refer him to someone who does make what he wants, you'll more than make up for it in positive word of mouth.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've sharpened a couple serrated edges when I worked in a family restaurant. I picked up a cheapish diamond hone kit at Walmart specifically because it had a round diamond... shaft? Rod? I guess its a hone?:o it actually worked rather well... but man it took some time.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:08 AM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

The only serrated knife I did was quite easy. I sharpened only one edge then filed in the serrations. To resharpen only the serrated points get honed.

easy? I do not really think it is that easy