Jump to content
I Forge Iron

Machinist’s(?) tool ID help needed


Recommended Posts

The tool pictured below came in a box of random tooling I just bought recently (for its  excellent selection of Starrett dividers and calipers). I’m planning to sell it to help offset the cost, but I need to know what it is first! The tool is about 7-1/2” long when completely stretched out, and the round pieces on the end are 1/2” in diameter.

It was suggested elsewhere that it might be part of the base for a dial indicator, but I’m open to other suggestions.

Click on photos to enlarge.












Link to comment
Share on other sites

The proper name escapes me at the moment, but the solid cylinder goes into the collet or chuck of a milling machine, or drill press,for example, and a test indicator into the bored cylinder end.  then the machine spindle is rotated as the indicator tip is in contact with the table, thereby "tramming" the angular relationship between spindle and table.  Many other uses.....

No coffee yet, but definitely a test indicator attachment.

Robert Taylor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's just a homemade widget holder. Like someone above said, probably an indicator holder to tram a mil. Don't get your hopes up it might be worth a few dollars to someone, however if you need to tram in a mill you can make your on indicator holder really fast. So what you got there is a fancy piece of scrap if you don't have a mill honestly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...